Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

help! heating options for small log home

jflounders
jflounders Member Posts: 1
I need help thinking about options for heating my old log house in the country. The main cabin is just over 1200sq ft and the addition just 225 sq ft. Now in the addition there is a Gibraltar coal stove, which doesn't do much for the rest of the house; and in the main cabin there's a vintage ( 1920's?) kitchen coal stove that at peak does allright, but can be finicky. Windows are single pane and drafty, but I have always thought they acted as sort of extra insurance against carbon monoxicide build up. I do have an older hot air oil burner( burns#1) in the basement, but use it only if absolutely needed . HAs only to hot air vents. There are two registers in the 1st floor ceiling for convection. Help-need to be warmer and as cheapas possible-suggestions ? Would wood burners be more efficient? I am not spending much now ( coal still relatively cheap) but would like to be Greener and cleaner. Really don't think oil is an alternative because of cost.

Comments

• jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    wrong direction

first off, your concern for CO is good, but.....your solution is improper. you should be making sure those devices are working properly. then get a COexperts CO alarm.

next, work on the structure best you can to insulate and seal air leaks.

• Steve M_2
    Steve M_2 Member Posts: 121
    Rinnai

I would consider the Rinnai direct vent wall unit, the RHFE series. They are amazing units and can heat bedrooms by cutting the doors bottom and leaving a gap for air transfer. Very easy to install and troublefree. I've installed 5 in the past few years and never had any problems.

Steve
This discussion has been closed.