Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ethylene Glycol

J.C.A._3
J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
Pressure VS. loss of pressure, and lack of/failure of any backflow preventer wouldn't EVER allow me to do this, in any situation.

Poison is poison....end of discussion?

P.S. who or what is "downstream"? JCA

Comments

• Pete_31
    Pete_31 Member Posts: 26
    Ethylene Glycol

Would any of you guys be afraid to put properly inhibited ethylene glycol in mod-con system? There are not any small kids or pets or even any domestic water in the building. If I wasn't sitting on half a drum of the stuff I'd probably buy the propylene just cause of all the bold face warnings in my install manual, but the price "free" and the fact I've read here that ethylene is more efficient is making me fret over it.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    perhaps

if it is not tied into any potable water make up source. And put a sealed collection bucket under the relief valve line.

EG is common in larger commercial systems. It is a better transfer fluid, less expensive, and it bio-degrades faster then PG.

Make sure the inhibitor package is still good. Un-sealed containers will allow )2 into the drum and the stuff may need a boost.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Pete_31
    Pete_31 Member Posts: 26

JCA thanks for your reply. I agree I would never consider it if I had any type of make up water. I don't know why you would want the ability to dilute your freeze protection anyways. I don't do any residential work, but the only way you should add glycol is pumped from your mixing barrel or out of a tanker on larger jobs. I do admit that finding out 3ozs is enough to kill is kind of an eye opener.
This discussion has been closed.