Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Riser to radiator noise

Options
Pin
Pin Member Posts: 61
I disconnected the radiator and checked the valve you guys were referring to, but I do not notice any puddles of water in there. The interior of the valve is wet, but no significant accumulation whatsoever.

The bottom of the radiator did have quite some accumulation of water. Not sure if thats normal or just from the flooding of the radiator I spoke about in my earlier post.

After draining out the water and reconnecting it back together, the problem persists. The sound is pretty loud in the room where the radiator is and not so much in the basement part of the same riser. Therefore the problem has to be somewhere between the riser and the radiator.

I am posting more pictures from different angle. Let me know if you guys have further inputs.

Comments

• Pin
    Options
    Riser to radiator noise

Hi all,

I have a riser that is connected to only one radiator. Previously there was a horizontal section in the ceiling of the basement that was causing major water hammer and was recently replaced so now it slopes down. However, I am still hearing noise from this riser and/or connected radiator and can not determine the source of the noise. Sometimes it seems like water dripping sound and other times it seems like water hammer sound.

I shut off the valve to test whether the sound was coming from elsewhere, and i found that it wasn't. The noise went away when i shut off the valve to the radiator.

I can not determine whether the sound is from the basement section of the riser or the connection from the riser to the radiator or something else. I attached pictures of the radiator. Please give me some input on how I can solve this annoying problem.

Thanks!
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    trapped horizontal branch

You have condensate build up at valve connection transition of size from i " to 1 1/4 " . replace bushing in radiator to 2 " x 1 " & connect to new 1 " gate valve to existing 1 " copper branch. not according to hoyle but should solve your problem.

• Here is the problem that Bob is explaining. Just thought it might be of help outlining it on your picture. Blue line represents the top surface of the condensate pool cause by the reducing.

- Rod
  • Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,404
    Options
    gate valve

aren't those gate valves usually mounted with the stem horizontal for steam? there could be a step under the gates which collects condensate.--nbc
  • Pin
    Options

It seems like most of the radiators in the house are set up like this and they do not make the same noises as this one. Could this actually be the reason or maybe the problem is something else?

Thanks!
  • Pin
    Options

Does anyone have more inputs? The noise is really driving me crazy.

To give more info, this riser is the the last riser on the main line. Couple months ago before i replaced the horizontal section, the system was flooded and water was shooting out of this radiator's air vent. A plumber used Rectorseal Steam Boiler Treatment to clean the system.

I don't think its the radiator that is the problem since the noise seems to come from the riser. Could it be that the air vent size it too large and that i should adjust it slightly smaller?

I'm all out of ideas on the potential cause of this noise.
    Please give me some feedback! Thanks!

• Don't know what to say. You're kind of out of options. I'd bet on the reducers as being a contributing cause. You might try to raise and slope the radiator a bit more just to see if that might help. As you mentioned you might try slowing the venting as maybe this will ease the conflict between the incoming steam and the condensate running the out.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    condensate

seems like the water is getting trapped in the radiator. it should drain back to riser after cycle. is that valve a gate valve or globe w/ seat & disk washer
  • Pin
    Options

I believe it is a gate valve. Once it is fully opened, it is just an empty hole. As I close the valve, the piece of round metal drops down and eventually seals the hole.

If water is being trapped in the radiator, what is causing it? The radiator is very tilted already.

From the top angle in photo4, is there anything wrong in the section from the riser to the radiator?
This discussion has been closed.