Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Munchkin metric screws, where to get

J. Cricket
J. Cricket Member Posts: 36
I'm only a homeowner, but I do know that I can buy metric screws at my hardware store. Let me explain the problem.

My Munchkin failed to start yesterday, I saw that it would light but then turn off after a second. I figured the flame sensor needed cleaning (and I was right). Unfortunately the people who had serviced the unit 2 years ago had stripped the heads of the screws holding the flame sensor. I took the screws off by hammering in a square bit, but of course I then needed new screws.

Unfortunately, they were 4mm x 8mm screws. A 6mm length is too short, 10mm is too long, no local hardware store had 8mm lengths. OK, so I cut a 10mm down to size. But the pan head is too big to fit on the left side; there is not enough space between the hole and the sensor opening. The original screws had an unusually small head.

OK, I sort-of-solved that too, by grinding down the sides of the screw head. But it wasn't pretty and will strip easily. This is stupid.

Where can I get 4mm x 8mm screws with a very small pan head?

Why was the Munchkin designed to use hard-to-find screws?

Comments

• You could try

contacting HTP at their website and getting the proper ones, I would think they would drop them in an envelope and send to you.
    http://www.htproducts.com/products/munchkin/

Dave
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    bicycle or motorcycle shops

usually have small metric bolts with allen heads. They are generally small diameter heads.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • brucewo1b
    brucewo1b Member Posts: 638
    That's a great thought Dave

but kinda $uck$ when you need it NOW
  • The Wire Nut
    The Wire Nut Member Posts: 420
    It's kinda surprising, but...

... my local Ace Hardware has an interesting array of metric, imperial, etc. screws, stocked by Midwest Fastener. Home Despot also carries an array of MF-stocked screws to look through. You can always order them from McMaster Carr, I suppose.

As for the reason that they have metric screws, my guess is that it has to do with the European origin of most parts on that burner.
    "Let me control you"

Lost in SOHO NYC and Balmy Whites Valley PA
This discussion has been closed.