Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Uncoiler

Options
Paul Rohrs_4
Paul Rohrs_4 Member Posts: 466
What tubing uncoiler is everyone using? The uncoiler we purchase from "An artist formerly known as Wirsbo" is just about to give up the ghost.

I am looking for an uncoiler that will not only handle 1/2 x 1000, and 5/8 x 500 rolls, but I want a solid uncoiler that will handle 3/4 x 500 pex-al-pex and 1 x 300 pex-al-pex.

Good value is always a plus. I was going to post this in the improvement section, but thought I was more interested in what is currently available on the market.

Regards,

PR

Comments

• jp_11
    jp_11 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Rock-Un- Roll

From "Tools That Rock"

You can now find it in Upanor's catalog but it will cost you more than from the OEM
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Options
    -

nm
  • Mark_7
    Mark_7 Member Posts: 123
    Options
    uncoiler

Paul, We have the Rehau version just like the Wirsbo it handles 100' rolls of PAP. We use alot of 300'-500' rolls of 1" so were having a copy of the uncoiler made in a heavier version.
  • Dave Larsen_2
    Dave Larsen_2 Member Posts: 53
    Options
    UNCOILER

Tools that rock has THE best one on the market.It's very well built and well thought out.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    I tried a \"Tools that Rock\"

uncoiler a few weeks back. It assembled and worked nicely. It did tend to skin the pex a bit on those sharp edged components. I had a pile of shavings along side at day's end. Simple enough to fix with a belt sander, but you'd lose that nice plating finish :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Joe_75
    Joe_75 Member Posts: 57
    Options

I made my own. I got tired of the cheap ones that do not uncoil 1000fters very good. It is alittle heavy but it works great even with big PAP.
  • RojoHo_3
    RojoHo_3 Member Posts: 18
    Options
    For $10.98

I made one when others were being used, and I was working by myself.
    - I screwed a 9" catch basin plug ($2.19) to the center of a 1/2"x2'x2'
    plywood scrap.
    - I got a discarded 14" high rope spool from the hardware store, screwed another 1/2" scrap plywood on one end; bolted a 6" three wheel caster dolly ($8.79) to it, centered on the spool.
    - Cut the top of the spool for a 1,000' roll of pex.
    - The caster dolly rides inside the catch basin plug.
    - You could add 1 5/8" wheel casters to the bottom of the spool plywood for stability if you want, but I didn't.
  • anon_4
    anon_4 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Sounds very heavy Rojoh. I've also made a few of my own.

What a waste of time that was.

I know Paul. He wants the best uncoiler out there. The Rock-unroller IS that product hands down. There is no competition. With some "minor field modefications" as HR suggests this thing is the best money any radiant heating contractor could spend.

It's like having another helper. I say this because I love you;-)
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    A couple sizes are nice

the ones big enough and heavy duty enough to handle large coils of 3/4 are a bit big and hard to handle in crawl spaces.

I muse a plain Bromey from mWatts Radiant for that. Basically a plastic sleeve with a lazy susan mechanism in betweek. Light portable, cheap (or free).

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • RojoHo_3
    RojoHo_3 Member Posts: 18
    Options
    It weighs a ton...

NOT!
    The catch basin part weighs 11 lbs, the caster/spool part weighs 17 lbs. They are separate pieces. The pex is heavier. This is just an idea for an emergency back-up uncoiler when you can't (don't want to) buy/rent one, as was my situation. It's not for a big job, I only had about 1,000 SF to finish. And the parts are reusable/discardable.
This discussion has been closed.