Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sprinter 15 MPG max

Options
Glen
Glen Member Posts: 855
short wb/ low roof - we are now through its terrible threes - with about 16 000 kms on the dial. Average is 10.5 - 11.5 liters per 100 km. This is 20 - 22 us mpg. And I drive it like I stole it. There are a lot of factors when considering economy - gross weight, driving habits etc. All I know is that is much better than the 6 mpg I was getting with my 3/4 ton Ford.

Comments

• Joe Annon_2
    Joe Annon_2 Member Posts: 11
    Options
    2004 sprinter new

gets at best 15 mpg.
    Dodge said that it was the liftgate on the 12 foot stakebed. Removed the platform for the lift gate and ran truck for one tank of highway miles . That is when it got 15 mpg. Getting mostly 12 to 14 mpg in combined driving. Load is nowhere near capacity.
    Dodge says nothing is wrong with it.
    HMMM a little disappointed with the milage. Didn't expect 30 mpg with flatbed and lift gate. Was expecting around twenty. Any thoughts on what is happening? Any body else with a cab and chassis set up out there?
    Joe
  • jeff_51
    jeff_51 Member Posts: 545
    Options
    if you are talking a gas engine

you are doing well, if a diesel, I have talked to guys around here who are getting thirty. Don't know if there are differant sized diesels or not. If diesel, you do not have a turbo do you? If so, that would really cut gas mileage. Don't know if they come that way, just asking.
  • Ron Schroeder
    Ron Schroeder Member Posts: 998
    Options

The turbo diesel should have the same or slightly better fuel mileage than non turbo IF YOU DRIVE IT THE SAME.
  • Patchogue Phil_31
    Options
    How many miles on truck?

How many miles on the truck? Maybe the engine hasn't broken in yet. Some engines take 5000 miles or more.

What kind of fuel? If a gas engine, the winter blend with MTBE or ethanol gets less MPG.

Did you check all the usual MPG things? Proper amount of air in tires? Clean air filter? Bent exhaust?
  • Gene_3
    Gene_3 Member Posts: 289
    Options
    everyone I know

gets 30 and they were floored cuz they didn't expect it. My Dodge Ram 600 Cummins 2500 HD 4X4 gets 18-24 depending on how I drive, funny thing though, when loaded and moving down the highway it is 20+, probably because my turbo is up??
  • joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    Options
    Sprinterized

Just so everybody knows Sprinters come with only 1 motor a 5cyl Mercedes Diesel . Ours get 19-20MPg consistantly loaded with stuff . We have the dual wheel models high roof.
  • Bruce M.
    Bruce M. Member Posts: 143
    Options
    It depends on the

> gets at best 15 mpg. Dodge said that it was the

> liftgate on the 12 foot stakebed. Removed the

> platform for the lift gate and ran truck for one

> tank of highway miles . That is when it got 15

> mpg. Getting mostly 12 to 14 mpg in combined

> driving. Load is nowhere near capacity. Dodge

> says nothing is wrong with it. HMMM a little

> disappointed with the milage. Didn't expect 30

> mpg with flatbed and lift gate. Was expecting

> around twenty. Any thoughts on what is happening?

> Any body else with a cab and chassis set up out

> there? Joe

• Bruce M.
    Bruce M. Member Posts: 143
    Options
    It Depends on the Rear Axle Ratio

The standard rear axle ratio is 3.72 but if you have the optional 4.11 ratio your mileage will be greatly decreased.
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Joel,

Please! I'm cringing just thinking that someone as knowledgable as you would would say "MOTOR".

A "motor" runs on electricty, an ENGINE is an internal combustion device. The only electricity used to make it work (up until the 60's anyway) was the ingnition switch. This has been drilled into my head since middle school, thanks to Mr. Barricelli. Chris
  • Joe Annon_2
    Joe Annon_2 Member Posts: 11
    Options
    miles

It has about 5000 miles.
    It may have the 4.11 axle will check on that. Was expecting to see the 19 to 20 that was mentioned.
    Thank you for insights.
    I would never have thought about the difference between engine and motor but it makes sense.
    Joe
  • Uni R
    Uni R Member Posts: 663
    Options
    Actually...

There are a few varieties of Sprinters in Europe with "motors" and one of them can do a fairly extensive urban stint on battery juice alone.

It's too bad this is the last year that they will look good. The redesigned Sprinter looks bad.
  • km
    km Member Posts: 1
    Options

Thanks Chris, very helpful information!
  • plumberbis
    plumberbis Member Posts: 2
    Options
    sprinter

i have a sprinter with a spartonutilty body and dual wheels we get 17 mpg i am very pleased so far
  • Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 765
    Options

What is the GVW of the Sprinter? My chevy 1 ton, dual rear wheels, GVW is 10,000 lbs ( usually loaded to 11,000 to 12,000), 454 engine, gets only 8 gpm.

Dave in Denver

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.