Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Journalism sinks to new low

John R. Hall
John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
Sorry to rant but being a journalist, nothing steams me more than this type of reporting. Here is a quote from one of nine people asked by the local newspaper to comment on their wishes for 2009:

"I am on the 50/50 plan. My New Year's resolution is to lose 50 pounds and save $50,000 for retirement and reduce debt. It's about discipline, smaller portions and less purchases. Net weight to net worth! My goal is to go from a full-figure woman to a seven-figure woman."

This is from a story in today's Detroit Free Press. Yes, DETROIT. This woman is so out of touch with reality of Detroit that it makes me sick to read this garbage. The article quotes other local celebrities but never asks anyone who has lost a job, a home, or life savings -- which is more representative than this person.

I know this is a heating forum and you good folks (and Dan) are kind enough to let me in once in a while to discuss non-heating topics -- thanks. This just has my panties in a bunch because I live in this area and see the suffering that goes on.

Anyway, have a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2009 and please hug your kids!

Comments

• David Nadle
    David Nadle Member Posts: 624
    They sure are

What bugs you so much about it? Should the paper pick only quotes from pessimistic people? I wish the woman success. Sounds like if she reaches even half her goal she'll be well off.

Are things in Detroit so bad that if you have a job you have to keep it a secret?
  • John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
    Equal it out

Fair journalism reports every side, not just the rich. There is no representation from the pessimists at all.

Walk in the working stiff's shoes, now that is reality.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Not everyone

is participating in this recession. :-)

You have a good heart, John. Happy New Year.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Leo_20
    Leo_20 Member Posts: 6
    John we already experienced it

John,

I know you are feeling the hit and hurt of the failing auto industry but we in the northeast lost our industry years ago. I live next door to The Chair City but the last chair maker closed this summer. All the small towns have vacant mills, vacant spots where mills stood, or mills converted to elderly housing. No bailouts here. We had a paper industry, plastic industry, furniture industry and a General Electric all gone. The lady in the interview is probably one of the over paid laid off auto workers we hear about. True or not perception is reality. If we look around PA how long has it been since they lost the steel industry. It's is no longer a regional thing.

Leo
  • bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    Not just Detroit

All newspapers are suffering.The newspaper in our city is set to shrink again. Two customers of mine, a couple who both work for it, tell me of the of the huge drop in money for investigative journalists. That occupation is in trouble. McClatchy newspaper company, which owns it and several other papers, is a publicly traded Co. Five years ago it's share price was sixty dollars. Two years ago it was forty. One year ago it was thirteen. Today it sells for about eighty cents. The owner of the L.A. Times is in bankruptcy. If your reading this your looking at why this is happening. This computer is eating up the advertising dollar. Also the proliferation of trashy A.M. radio talk shows. Rush's huge salary is gotta come from somewhere. That tradition of the morning coffee and the newspaper is becoming shorter and shorter.
This discussion has been closed.