Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leaking steam valve

Options
I have a leaking steam valve in my basement, the packing is worn inside the collar of the valve and it drips pretty consistently. I've tried some graphite string packing I got from a local plumbing supply house, but is is thin and hasn't helped. I've tried teflon string also, but no luck. The area around the stem is about.25" wide and .125" deep. Any suggestions?

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    steam valve

are you sure it's leaking from the packing around the stem? when i had that sort of leak, it turned out to be from the bonnet flange where a stud had broken off. i had to use c-clamps to hold things together for the rest of the winter-20 years ago!! they are still there.

if the valve is not being used you could cut it out and replace it with a union,coupling, and nipple [or flange joint and nipple]. it might be a good idea to get the parts 1st and check for length before doing any cutting. also a job to be done on a day when you can get parts!--nbc

could also be a sign of excessive pressure-keep it below 16 oz. and 8 oz. is even better.
This discussion has been closed.