Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

1st steam boiler install

Mark Hunt
Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
Can you get a shot of the equalizer/HF loop from the side?

From that angle, something doesn't look right.

What is the horizontal line coming from the back of the boiler tied into?

You did a great job on everything else, but I just can't make out what you did with the equalizer and HF loop.

Mark H

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=238&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• John S.
    John S. Member Posts: 260
    Your constructive criticism is appreciated.

... but go easy on me, please.

A peerless 63-04.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    steam boiler comments

Drop header piping looking pretty good, clean up pipe dope, strap wiring neatly. Would like to see a picture of equalizer line with return connection. Could use a backup pressuretrol, manual reset. Nice 1st job overall.
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    John S

Remember to pipe the safety (relief valve) to the floor.

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • John S.
    thanks

Tim.

I will post a pic of the return ASAP. Backup pressuretrol required or just a good idea?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • John S.
    Robert

thanks for the reminder. I need to do that as well as pipe the LWCO and backflow preventer to the floor as well.

• tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    back up pressuretrol

Here in Seattle it is required but I don't think in all jurisdictions. Also regarding the relief, we have to pipe ours up above head height and put a drip tee at the outlet for condensation in line. Good luck.
  • Andy_14
    Andy_14 Member Posts: 121

Clean up that pipe dope
  • curiousity kills
    curiousity kills Member Posts: 118
    Holy pipe dope batman

• 1st steamer ?

The header pipework looks like you'e been doing steam for a long time . Very nice . But like the others said , the pipe dope has to go . We wait till she's steaming and the dope wipes off real easy . Tell me that is Mega-Lock and not Leak - Loc ? L-L will be a **** to get off once it's dry .

I like that you put the pressure gauge after a pigtail and the big cap on the unused return port , instead of a plug . And is that a valve and plug for a skim port ?

Can't see it , but does the LWCO have a nipple in it to direct the water ? We used to ell it out to get a bucket under there easier . But we only use probe type LWCOs - keeps the guesswork down wondering if the homeowner actually blows them out .

Excellent first steamer John .
  • John S.
    so are you guys saying...

that there's a lot of pipe dope on them there pipes? :)

• John S.
    Thanks Ron Jr.

Coming from you (because I've seen your work here on the Wall) that's a real complement.

I've just studied a lot (TLASH, the Wall & Library)and done some misc. repairs to other systems. The dope (Blue Magic) did get a little messy because I did all the piping by myself and was a little pressed for time. 1st time working with anything larger than 1 1/2" diameter piping.

That's a full port ball valve in the skim tapping and nearby is a nipple and a 45 to facilitate easily adding rust raider or any other chemical treatment.

I plan on piping a nipple out of the LWCO that will hug the concrete pad and aim towards the floor drain which is only a few feet away.

I personally prefer float LWCOs + this was at my own house. Did 90% of the job myself. Hired my friend/licensed contractor to do the wiring and give it a once over before firing her up. (I may not be licensed, but I'm not stupid enough not to get a real pros final inspection).

Thanks for your comments.

• David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
    Hello John

Like Ron said, very nice piping job! Looks like you have done it before, But i Must agree on the pipe dope,

When you apply the pipe dope to a fitting you dont have to cover all the threads just the first two or three, as the fitting spins in it will push the pipe dope up the thread and leave you a nice little bead.theres only so much roon between the threads so a little will go along way

Very nice job!!!

David
  • John S.
    hey...

thanks Dave. I honestly didn't know that.

You certainly learn more than a little something on the Wall every day. hmmmmm... can pipe a boiler nicely, but doesn't know how to properly apply pipe dope. I'm laughing at myself right now :)

• David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
    Learning

learning is a journy not a destination Keep up the great work!!!and you'll save hundreds of $ on pipe dope ;-)

Look at these you see what i was talking about

David
  • brucewo1b
    brucewo1b Member Posts: 638
    Then again

Dave just uses his hands to tighten fittings where most of us use 36" pipe wrenches, John good piping job and don't worry we all folow a learning curve.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    anyone mention

Did anyone remember to mention that Blue Magic will not come out of clothing? It will wash but leave's a permanent stain. Ask me how I learned this..:) And John, nice install. Better be careful though, pretty soon Ron Jr. will have you in the field doing 5 install's a week (this stuff is addicting) :)
  • Christian Egli_2
    Christian Egli_2 Member Posts: 812
    Gainsborough's The Blue Boy, a master piece

I find your set up very elegant with just the nice slopes and no upward stepping kinks so that no unboiled water puddles will form. You also have plenty nice swing in the layout to put no undue stress on the boiler sections and there are no unseemly fittings either.

Real cooool, except this being a steam boiler, we all hope for things to get hot. You must like the blue stuff :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blue_Boy

The Blue Boy painting

Is your last radiator heating up now? and is your system warming up significantly faster than it was with the marginally undersized boiler? Is it one pipe? Is the big one by the boss doing it's job now?

I hope things improved a lot after such a nice job. Thanks for sharing.

• ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 958
    Through all of this

concern about the pipe dope, its escaped everyone's notice that you did this wonderful job WITHOUT KNOCKING THE PAINTING OFF THE WALL!

Now thats impressive.

Seriously. Nice job overall. Could also hide the pipe dope under some pipe insulation ;)

-Terry
    terry
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    John, that was real good

especially for a first try. I'll second the comments about the safety valve drip, pipe dope etc. but otherwise it's fine.

• Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,199
    Pretty Job

Very nice. Very rare to see this kind of piping in the field, even from so-called experts. You wouldn't believe what's out there. Hope your system is running great. If not, clean and skim more. That piping looks perfect.

Any reason you didn't use cast iron fittings? Some areas require them and they are very easy to break off for the next guy. They look better, at least in this old guy's opinion, too.

Long Beach Ed
  • u'll get better as u go along

U'll need to skim that baby quite a bit if u have that much dope on inside as much u have on the ouside! But, nice job and u'll get better as u go along.... I'm a number 5 doper and use it only on the 1st 3 threads, otherwise, I'll be wiping the drips all over the place.. How long have ya live in this place? U'll let us know the differnce between the old and new performance...
  • John S.
    10 years this December

I have some balancing to do yet, however, the place is heating up in minutes even from a deep setback. It's a good feeling.

Mr. Egli was right when he said (on another post) that efficiency will be affected if the boiler runs too long. Seems to run past the set point on the t-stat by a couple degrees recovering from setback. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

• John S.
    equalizer

Here's a pic of the return as well as the HL and equalizer. I know, I know, too much dope :)

• John S.
    if you look closer...

I did break the glass that covers it with my back whilst wrenching on something. Of course, my wife noticed that. :)

• John S.
    if anyone's in need of an enthusiastic...

apprentice with some knowledge, please let the offers start flowing. After all, I live in a Detroit suburb. Times are tough here in Michigan and I've been looking to get out.

Ron Jr.? are you there? LOL

Thanks lchmb

• John S.
    Mark,

the horizontal line from the boiler is tied into the equalizer. The hartford connection is made with the wet return that runs along the wall behind the boiler (hard to see).

I see what you mean about that angle. Takin' a few more photos when I'm done and will post.

Thanks

• John S.
    nice work!

David,

Is that just Teflon tape or pipe dope as well?

thanks for the tips & kudos

This discussion has been closed.