Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for heating consultant/Ft. Wayne IN vicinity

Options
1923 two story brick four-plex. Historically significant building.

Landlord (me) pays for heating the building.

This coming winter must be more efficient. Would like to discuss some options with knowledgeable steamheating individual.

Comments

• Heather_5
    Heather_5 Member Posts: 39
    Options

Are you in the "historic downtown" area off Jefferson Blvd? I can't recommend anybody, but I used to live in that area...off Wayne St. I believe...
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    heating consultant ft.wayne

even if you see no one listed on the "find a professional/resources" tab here, you can still learn much from "the lost art of steam heating" available here. reading this will make you a more informed customer of any hydronic contractor.

just to get the ball rolling, what is the age, make, and model of your present boiler?

is your system 1-pipe or 2?

what signs do you see of inefficiency, in particular?

is it noisy, water-hammer, etc?

pictures of the boiler and piping would be very helpful.--nbc
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    I'll be in that area

in mid-August. E-mail me at steam.head at verizon dot net and we'll see if we can make something happen.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Or...

if times don't work out with Steamhead, I will be in Ft. Wayne for a meeting in September, so I could take a look. (Too bad we couldn't both be there at the same time...Steamhead is one of the best!!)

Boilerpro

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    The Steam Whisperer (Formerly Boilerpro)

Chicago's Steam Heating Expert

Noisy Radiators are a Cry for Help
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    the lost art of heating

you now have enough time to digest this book,and become an informed client, of 2 of the best steam experts on the wall--but wouldn't it be nice to understand the basics first?.--nbc
  • terry ritter
    terry ritter Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Fort Wayne Area

I also live in Fort Wayne. I have learned a lot from the Pro's on the wall and have had to perform a lot of my own work to correct issues with my two pipe vapor system. With our area being very limited on individuals who truly understand how steam heating is to suppose to work; it makes it hard to feel you can truly get a knowledgeable answer other than to replace the system with hot water. As far as local Pro's I've had some good luck with Dean @ North Side Plumbing. If I could help in anyway I would be glad to try and possibly share some war stories.
This discussion has been closed.