Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fly Ash

Options
hr
hr Member Posts: 6,106
is a common ingredient in concrete just about everywhere. It is inexpensive and plentiful. Most is a byproduct from coal fired power plants.

It's very common in hot climates as it makes the job easier to finish.

I doubt the fly ash would harm the modern plastic tubes.

Typically fly ash from high sulpher content coal could be an issue with older steel and copper tube radiant systems. But only if it was in a wet location would the ash get aggressive towards the ferrous metal, or copper.

hot rod

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=144&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Alan(OnVacationInOregon)Forbes
    Options
    Fly Ash

is what the architect wants to use in the concrete slab in a "Green Building" project here in Berkeley. I'm concerned that it might be caustic and damage the PEX tubing. Should I tell them no?
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    Options
    manufacturer say?

whats the manufacturer say? go to the horses mouth!

off hand I would think that only solvents of similar chemical composition will degrade pex, along with sun light.
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Options
    I would do this

Find out from the architect what percentage or at what concentration the ash is going to blended into the mix. Then check with your tube manufacturer. I don't think it'll bother the pex but any metals in contact may present some issues.
  • Alan(OnVacationInOregon)Forbes
    Options
    Fly Ash

Thanks, guys. Much appreciated.
  • Seattle Nick
    Seattle Nick Member Posts: 64
    Options
    The fly ash

content makes a difference if the owners are going to use an acid stain finish on their concrete...so I am told by the Kemiko rep. anyway FWIW

Nick
  • Arthur
    Arthur Member Posts: 216
    Options

Boy, you would have to get a hellva lot of flies to make much ash wouldn't you? I'd imagine a fly when burn would make much ash.
This discussion has been closed.