Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water leaking out the steam/pressure release vent

Dale
Dale Member Posts: 1,317
As the other post suggested make sure the rad slopes to the inlet valve. Also, you may have a rad vent that venting too quickly, you could put on a new adjustable rad vent and set it to vent very slowly. If the problem persists the building is at fault.

Comments

• matt_43
    matt_43 Member Posts: 1
    Water leaking out the steam/pressure release vent

I rent an apt. in NYC -- which is always an adventure.

We have radiators throughout our apartment... steam radiators. They all work well except one. One of them, when it's turned on (by opening the valve) gets nice and hot and makes a little hissing that escalates to a gurgle that escalates to a small geiser of hot water shooting out of the "steam release" vent/opening on the side of the radiator. This did not make our neighbors downstairs too happy since a couple gallons of water leaked through their ceiling.

When I turn that radiator off it stops leaking. Thus, I have no heat in that room. My landlord is a bit of a deadbeat, so I doubt he's in a rush to come investigate.

Will that water stop coming out if I just leave it open for a while and catch the water in a pail? The water coming out starts barely warm and gets progressively hotter.

Thanks
  • Jason_26
    Jason_26 Member Posts: 17

i has that same problem with one of my radiators in my new house. what i found was it tilted the wrong way i had to shim it so it tilted toward the inlet/outlet pipe. i have a 1-pipe system it also needs a new vent. sounds like the water is not draining from it so make sure it is tilted right
This discussion has been closed.