Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Why should our company join the RPA?

singh
singh Member Posts: 866
There is'ny a local chapter. One in western NY , one in central NY.
CT chapter is most likely the closest. I thought one was being proposed for Hudson Valley area.

Ditto, what HR said. Education, RPA guidlines for radiant standards, keeping up with new methods, ideas within industry and peers. Group insurance if you need, and some more. You get out of it what you put in to it. Basic membership rates are well priced.
And yes you can get work from membership listing. I installed and estimated on radiant jobs, from listing alone. I even "consulted" on bad installs.
Take the cert. test. Should be a breeze for you and Mark. But don't take it lightly , you have to hit the books before. The next one is in Chicago.

Why I joined, as a plumber crossing over, I knew I needed a little more than the next misinformed guy. But I don't get all the radiant bids around here. There are some around here who steer away from hardwood and radiant, who think foil bubble wrap is all the insulation needed under tubing,who don't own a digital combustion analyzer , who don't do their own heat loss calcs or design, but get the jobs.
I on the other hand ,I try to inform the homeowner or builder, provide a copy of the RPA flooring guide with bids, but I guess my estimates are higher.
At the same time, in this internet age, I had homeowners who are well informed, done a ton of research, and one place they stopped at was the RPA website, where they picked up good info from guys like NRT.rob (thanks Rob) and my phone number. And understood that for a quality job , you may have to pay a little more. Those are the jobs I wish I could get over and over.

Darin, join, you have nothing to lose.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=377&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Gene_2
    Gene_2 Member Posts: 59
    Looking for some solid reasons for membership

To any of you who belong to the RPA, Why did you join? What do you feel the RPA contributes to the Industry? To your company? Do you feel that the RPA has any name recognition with customers? Does it provide any work for you? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Darin
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Depends on what you are looking for

from an association. The RPA was started as an educational association. I think this is still the RPAs strong suit.

The Radiant Basics and Radiant Precision and Advanced Controls has been well received and provides an excellent non biased training package. I believe Radiant Precision is getting an upgrade as we speak.

Courses available as home study and online.

The Flooring Guide is an excellent consumer piece. A copy should go with every bid or potential customer contact.

The REX events were always crowd pleasers and a great way to network with like minded contractors and manufactures.

Plenty of committees to join in to advance the radiant industry or do research.

Like any group you generally get more bang for your buck as you get more involved.

Check to see if there is a local chapter near you and attend the next meeting. I think the local RPA chapters have as much if not more bang as the national. It allows you to focus efforts on the radiant market as it pertains to your specfic part of the country. Local chapters can gear speakers and seminars to the wants of the group and respond quicker than a once a year national meeting.

Well worth the price of admission, which is a bargin by the way :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Gene_2
    Gene_2 Member Posts: 59
    HR

Thanks for your response. I will see if there is a local RPA chapter in my area.

Darin
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    i like what i see at the RPA web site...

enough to basically have entertained the idea of traveling there to take some exams and front out some sheckles, for a one tine deal, sort of a join and head back out to the frontier....:#~/:)

Round 2'its are harder to come by in summer...:)
  • John Ruhnke
    John Ruhnke Member Posts: 882
    What I think of the RPA................

Hi Everyone,

I feel the RPA has the biggest impact on the improvement of quality in Radiant heating today. The books and training that they put out is top notch, A+. I love the rad fests and have gone to the last few. The certification program gave me a lot of creditability in our industry that helped me to land some big jobs. I have learned a lot from networking with the members.

JR

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    I am the walking Deadman
    Hydronics Designer
    Hydronics is the most comfortable and energy efficient HVAC system.
  • Mike C_3
    Mike C_3 Member Posts: 62
    IMO

I think in any industry it is good to have a standard. I think that is where RPA plays a big roll!
    I just started in the hydronic business a year ago and love it. With the Radiant Basics and Radiant Precision it is a nice way to learn a lot of the business. I think the RPA isn't as well know to the homeowners than the contractors but it is coming around. Being certified shows a commitment to the industry and sets you apart from some of the "fly by night" places. I thank the RPA for leading the way in standardization and for the classes and shows they put on.

This discussion has been closed.