Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

So, what would you suggest

Xc8p2dC_2
Xc8p2dC_2 Member Posts: 150
Hi guy's, you all helped me out with a short cycling problem which in turn is partly related to the 2-3 times oversized boiler in new constuction

So, for a 1300 sq ft, ranch with 2 zone FHW fintube 88' basebaord and a updated heatloss calc around 24,600 BTU hr
what would you suggest for a replacment boiler

I'm liking the 90+ efficientcy, condensing type like the Pinnacle or the Munchkin, with a priority on QUIET as it is right under the master bed and with the Peerless DE-05 [could be for sale] I can hear every cycle

Comments

• jeff_51
    jeff_51 Member Posts: 545
    Buderous GB 142

has an out put range of between 23,000 to 85,000 btu's and so quiet, that when the cover is on and you are standing next to it, you can't hear it running. It has a constantly modulating burner, so should run on low fire most of the time. Efficency's of up to 98%
  • Xc8p2dC_2
    Xc8p2dC_2 Member Posts: 150
    Sizing

Thanks Jeff
    Correct boiler size, not manufacturer is what is important
    as many opinions vary
    My new Peerless puts out 140K btu in/115K out for a heat loss of 24,600
    Is there a rule of thumb to take the heatloss and add,
    ?? percent to get the correct size boiler
  • Uni R
    Uni R Member Posts: 663
    What are your electric rates like?

If my heat loss was that low, I personally would just get an electric boiler (and WH) and simplify my life. No flue, no burner, no additional gas or oil bills, no cleaning, no explosion risk, no oil tank leak risk. I'd pay a few hundred extra a year for heat to have that for that kind of piece of mind.

Thermolec is one I'd look at first...
  • just make sure that the AHJ

will accept this as yet unapproved appliance, which has been unleashed on consumers due to their own rapacious appetite.
  • jeff_51
    jeff_51 Member Posts: 545
    the heatloss of 24,600 is what you want your boiler net to be

that is your boiler output. If you have a heatloss of 24,600 and you put in a 115k output boiler, that is 115,000btu and about four times to big. You want to find a boiler whose output most closely matches your heat loss, which is why a modulating burner is so nice. It gives you a very nice range in which to work.
This discussion has been closed.