Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Condensing clothes dryer

Big Ed_3
Big Ed_3 Member Posts: 170
Surprised they don't supply a condensation pump ????

Comments

• Leo G_99
    Leo G_99 Member Posts: 223
    Has anyone seen

the new LG condensing clothes dryer? NO VENTING REQUIRED!!!! Instead they supply the one unit, both washing and drying, with a drip pan that needs to be drained every few loads. Was thinking if I ever have a chance to install one of these "condensers", I'll just get my sheet metal guy to build a nice galvanized pan and pipe right into the floor drain!

Leo G
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    yes...

they are all the rage in europe...I freaked when a carpenter I was working w/ told me about it...he has to use one in his new condo...they do take a long time to dry clothes....jury is still out w/ me....kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Leo G

The LG is really nice, but I prefer the Miele (only because its been listed & labeled). I'm told the LG has some EPA/DOE issues to resolve.

Technically clothes dryers aren't really vented at all, they are exhausted. If you look at Section 501.8 of the 2003 IFGC it states this under #4.

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • Leo G_99
    Leo G_99 Member Posts: 223
    Robert,

I also am Exhausted! (G)

Leo G
  • Bob_41
    Bob_41 Member Posts: 28
    LG condensing dryer

Leo,

We've had the LG all-in-one (that's a washer AND dryer combo) since 2003. Great unit. Large capacity front-load, stainless steel drum coupled with a high-speed spin cycle (1100+ rpm) means that the unit can do great job of washing a fairly substantial load and an "adequate" job of drying about 50% of a similar load size. The unit uses something on the order of 12 gallons per load as opposed to a top loader using in the 50+ gallons per load range. The unit does have a pump so there's no draining required. Since there is no "exhaust" the lint is just flushed down the drain. I intalled a filter that was desinged to keep lint out of septic fields and it works great at insuring that I don't eventually clog my standpipe and open a lap pool in my basement.

Bob
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    They are great...

... as long as you're OK with the longer time it usually takes them to dry a load. Such driers are fantastic for retrofits into stone homes (like a condo conversion in a brick house) or where running vent is out of the question due to space, aesthetic, or other reasons. Plus, combo units like the LG are very popular for small urban apartments where you don't usually wash a lot of clothes...

I elected to keep our Frigidaire washer and dryer when we moved house. Given how much extra clothes will be needed to be washed in the coming years I think the convenience of a quick cycle will trump the space gains of a condensing unit.

Oh, and last time I checked, there were no gas dryers on the market that allow sealed combustion. A concentric kit for vent/intake would perhaps offer a OEM more profit opportunities and increase consumer safety as well.
  • Constantin

Dryers are not required to be vented. Item #4 spells this out. The products of combustion for gas-fired clothes dryers are discharged to the outdoors along with the moisture exhaust; in effect, the dryer is "vented" but not in the sense that other appliances are vented. Clothes dryer exhaust ducts are not referred to as vents because they are exhaust ducts, not a type of vent. Clothes dryers, both gas and electric, must "exhaust" to the outdoors. I've never heard of a seal combustion dryer, but I can say the thought of it peaks my intrest.

The code does not use the term "dryer vent", rather it uses the term "exhaust duct". I know I'm killing this topic but I feel it is rather an important one. In my town, http://www.city-data.com/city/Glen-Ridge-New-Jersey.html
    we have had 5 major dryer "duct" fires over the last four years, one of them (this past July) burnt the house to the ground. In EVERY instance, the exhaust ducting WAS within the 25' foot maximum as is allowed in the 2003 IFGC Section 614.6.1

When was the last time you cleaned out your duct???

Or

Changed the batteries in the smoke detector???

Now, is a good time to do it. I always do mine for daylight savings time.

Robert O'Connor/NJ

• Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Very good Points, Robert

Here is how a concentric kit would help...

First, by having a duct in a duct design, you could insulate the outer portion of the duct from the fire somewhat. So even if you have a fire, the results are likely to be less severe, as long as the inner duct material is something serious (like stainless steel)

Secondly, a concentric duct system would perhaps be simpler and sturdier to assemble, since you can use zip screws for the outer portion. The question is how one would go about creating adjustable pieces that can be fit in the field.

Coming back to the topic about cleaning them, that is a concern I had/have. I have yet to find a 3-way sheet metal duct fitting (3x 90°) that would allow me to run a 4' stub up behind the dryer, cap it off, and thus be able to clean the vent w/o removing the dryer (which is a major PITA because the drain pan it sits in).

I have yet to take the front panel off the Frigidaire, perhaps the exhaust is easy to reach from down there.
This discussion has been closed.