Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

which system is better???

Options
carl_15
carl_15 Member Posts: 21
i'm think of doing a monoflow system in my home. the plus of monoflow is that ALL baseboards get pretty much the same heat. the negative is that the system is more susseptable to air problems, but i have an air scoop coming out of the boiler before the circulator and automatic bleed valves on all baseboards.

i was told to think about an in-series system with my baseboards the plus' with that is that it's an easy install, less air problems, less pipe, no monoflows...BUT i have 7 baseboards on 1 zone and 3 on the 2nd. When hot water reaches the 7th baseboard, it's going to be cooled- off ...right. And if so how much cooled off? what would you do?

Comments

• Uni R
    Uni R Member Posts: 663
    Options
    Manifold - home run

If I were starting from scratch I would use a home run layout. Have a manifold in the boiler room and run small diameter PEX from there directly to each radiator. I would put TRVs on each baseboard and set it up so that you can purge air to all circuits from the boiler room. This would give you a system where you can both easily add on a new room, change heat to underfloor later, but most especially, you can control the temp of every room.

In fact I really wish I did that in my home before studding in most of the basement and having to work around all of the 1.25" piping on the perimeter.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Pipping

I think the copper pipe is already there. there are many ways to go, but sounds like a small ranch style house with full axcess.
  • Gene_3
    Gene_3 Member Posts: 289
    Options
    mono flo

is better when you have many feet of baseboard in a row, if in series you would loose a lot of temp and have to add several feet to each room the farther you got from the unit.

The reasons it is not done are 2, cost and with zv's it is no longer needed. Remember to insulate the pipes.
This discussion has been closed.