Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

98% boiler

Options
wsdave
wsdave Member Posts: 97
Damn! I bought all that "expensive" pipe insulation last spring!!!

Comments

• Jim Pompetti
    Jim Pompetti Member Posts: 552
    Options

Who makes a boiler that will meet 2006 tax credit.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    great question

Boy you do come up with some excellent questions .I truely don,t know but i guess you would be lookjing at very low temp radiant with a condensing mod boiler but i think you would need some real deal info on the house insulation and stuff that's tough .Went back to a install yesterday 30 outside temp 70 indoor munchkin purring along at 128 supply 104 return i don,t know where that puts me on eff didn't do combustion but it got to be good still keeping there gas bill 1/2 of old steam system ,but then again they listened and tightened the enevolpe and now there saving .When i did the job the plumber looked at me like i was nuts he said that little thing 80,000 btus ain't gonna do it they'll frezze .I guess he had never heard of a heat loss program .Again thanks for giving my mind somwething else to think about .What happened to that f15 code peaceclammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Options
    Not sure of the specific requirements

but if a Viessmann Vitodens does not make that mark, I have no idea who would. We all know this is dependent on return temperature of course, but at least you can approach it.
  • Maggie Reed
    Maggie Reed Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Federal Tax Credit

The efficiency eligibility requirements for the $150 federal tax credit is 95% AFUE. At this time, there is not a boiler on the market that meets this requirement. ECR International will be introducing the Dunkirk Quantum 95-200M and the Utica UB95-200M this summer. If anyone is going to be at the AHR Expo, stop by our booth (#4722) and take a look. Also, feel free to e-mail me if you'd like more information. We're very excited about this boiler.

Maggie Reed Lutz -
    ECR International Marketing

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Brad White_9
    Options
    Thanks, Maggie

for exposing another meaningless Federal 'benefit'.

Puts the "Phooey" in AFUE! :)
  • Uni R
    Uni R Member Posts: 663
    Options
    Monitor

Maggie, what about the Monitor MZ wall hung boilers? According to the Energy Star site they are rated at 95% AFUE.
  • Uni R
    Uni R Member Posts: 663
    Options

• Brad White_9
    Options
    I think

the distinction is between AFUE (annualized) and measured combustion efficiency. I have an MZ that probably is in the high 80's annual but have clocked it at 93% combustion.

By using AFUE as the criteria, you don't have to give out too many tax credits, do you? :P
  • gasfolk
    gasfolk Member Posts: 392
    Options
    Hi Maggie,

If these boilers will modulate down to 80,000 Btu/hr, is there a minimum design heat load they require to achieve the 95% AFUE?

Some boilers appear to modulate a bit lower for load matching during the shoulder seasons, and do you think ECR might offer smaller models with higher turndown ratios in the near future?

Thanks,

gf
  • gasfolk
    Options
    Hi Maggie,

If these boilers will modulate down to 80,000 Btu/hr, is there a minimum design heat load they require to achieve the 95% AFUE?

Some boilers appear to modulate a bit lower for tighter load matching during the shoulder seasons, and do you think ECR might offer smaller models and/or higher turndown ratios in the near future?

Just a homeowner considering options.

Thanks,

gf
  • gasfolk
    Options
    Hi Maggie,

Some boilers appear to modulate a bit lower for maybe tighter load matching during shoulder seasons, and do you think ECR might offer smaller models and/or higher turndown ratios in the near future?

We're just homeowners, following The Wall and taking time to consider the options, and we hope the questions aren't prying.

Thanks,

gf
  • gasfolk
    Options
    Hi Maggie,

If these boilers will modulate down to 80,000 Btu/hr, is there a minimum design heat load they require to achieve the 95% AFUE? Our house is in the 40,000 to 50,000 Btu/Hr range.

Some boilers appear to modulate a bit lower for maybe tighter load matching during shoulder seasons, and do you think ECR might offer smaller models and/or higher turndown ratios in the near future?

We're just homeowners, lurking on The Wall and taking time to consider the options, so we hope the questions aren't prying.

Thanks,

gf
  • Dan_15
    Dan_15 Member Posts: 388
    Options

Massachusetts has a new tax credit for 2005 up to $600, which covers a broader spectrum of energy efficiency upgrades than the Federal credit.

http://www.dor.state.ma.us/help/guides/abate_amend/Personal/Issues/HomeHeatingCredit.htm

I plan to take advantage with my new R2107 controller purchased in 2005.
  • CarlR
    CarlR Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Tax Credits for High Efficiency Boilers

See http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=products.pr_tax_credits#2

Product Type: Gas, Oil, Propane Furnace or Hot Water Boiler Tax Credit Specification: AFUE 95
    Tax Credit: $150
    EnergyStar Specification:
    AFUE 90 for furnaces, AFUE 85 for boilers
  • CarlR
    Options
    Federal Tax Credits for Energy Efficiency

See the draft summary here: http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=products.pr_tax_credits#2

Product Category:
    Gas, Oil, Propane Furnace or Hot Water Boiler
    Tax Credit Specification: AFUE 95
    EnergyStar Specification: AFUE 90 for furnaces
    AFUE 85 for boilers
  • CarlR
    Options
    Federal Tax Credits for Energy Efficiency

See the draft summary here: http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=products.pr_tax_credits#2

Product Category:
    Gas, Oil, Propane Furnace or Hot Water Boiler

Tax Credit Specification: AFUE 95

EnergyStar Specification: AFUE 90 for furnaces
    AFUE 85 for boilers
  • Maggie Reed
    Maggie Reed Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi Gasfolk

Your questions are not at all prying.

The AFUE is calculated based on the overall firing range of the boiler. So if the range is 80-200, the AFUE is calculated at 80 and 200,000 Btu/hr.

ECR is evaluating lower sized modulating boilers at this time.

However, we do offer under the Utica and Dunkirk brands a fixed capacity 90% AFUE condensing boiler which may meet your needs.

If you are interested in ECR products, our recommendation would be to use a fixed 90% with an Argo DPM-2 outdoor reset sensor. The outdoor reset sensor can be programmed to lower the boiler supply temperature. The boiler will be supplying lower temperatures to the space when the demand is low, saving energy during the shoulder months.

I hope that this answers your questions and is not too much information. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to e-mail me directly.

Maggie Reed Lutz -
    ECR International Marketing

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.