Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Black iron monoflow tees

Here's one. This cast iron mono-flo tee I'm guessing was installed in the mid-fifties to "try" and heat a cold porch. As I was evaluating the system for a boiler replacement I noticed them. I said to the HO " I guess this room stays pretty cold eh?" and he replied "yeh, how'd ya know that?". This was on an original open gravity system that someone recently introduced a pump to but couldn't get the house above 50.

Robert O'Connor/NJ

Comments

• Saggs
    Saggs Member Posts: 174

Do black iron monoflow tees exist? Looked at a job with several large modines all branched off a common supply loop and dumped into a comon return. The only way this could work would be w/ monflow tees in the 2" iron piping. Anyone seen these before?
  • steve_93
    steve_93 Member Posts: 37

Yes they do.

• bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    monpo-flow

b. & g. makes them and taco used to make a venturi scoop tee. kinda looks like a funnel w/ two ends. still got some laying around the shop from maybe 1970. all 1 1/4 "x 3/4 "
  • Tom M.
    Tom M. Member Posts: 237
    If they all go from supply piping to return piping,

then they shouldn't need monoflow tees. Monoflow tees are used to create a pressure difference between two tees in the same loop. If the piping and circulator are sized properly, then there should be a pressure difference between the supply and return piping, causing flow through all of the Modines. Hope this helps.

Tom M.
This discussion has been closed.