Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Recessed steam radiators not working in bedroom

he's in Floral Park, and has put steam into his own house!

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Gary_21
    Gary_21 Member Posts: 5
    No steam heat in master bedroom

I have a large 1920's house with steam heat. the radiators are all recessed into the walls, with vents at eye level, and small openings in the baseboards,for air flow.
    Over Christmas the 2 radiators in the 2nd floor master bedroom stopped working.
    I think this happened at the same time that the water supply valve to my peerless(567000 btu/hr) oil fired boiler got stuck in the open position, and the water over filled the boiler and drained onto the boiler room floor.
    A new supply valve was fitted by my oil company.They could not fix the Bedroom radiators which remain cold.I noticed that the return pipe running along the finished basement floor also remains cold.
    The radiators are hard to access. The system has 2 pipes on each radiator, and when hot they do not make any hissing noise.
    My Question is, are my bedroom radiators not hot due to blocked valves, or are the return pipes blocked with rust.
    Any advice would be appreciated, as a few heating experts have looked at the system and been stumped
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    2 pipe

If this is a 2 pipe system then it should not have a air vent on the rad there are probalby other venting issues if the rads are 2 pipe and have air vents .I would use the find a pro listing on this site and locate some one who has experence with 2 pipe systems .Most heating guys may be well versed in oil fired hot water systems but when it comes to older steam systems and proper steam distrubition it should never be a hit and miss thing .You may have some larger or smaller issues that shall straighten this promblems out but not every one who works on heating systems might know steam is a beast onto itself and alot of times the service tech has to be a time travler and dectective to possible fix something that a band aid fix will not fix .Have some one check your traps and your system main venting and also your wet and dry returns and loop seals .Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,199
    Time for Help

My bet would be that the traps have problems, but with a building of that size, the money spent on an expert's assessment of the system should come back ten fold in fuel savings.

The last time anyone with any knowledge looked this thing over was probably when Cooledge was president.

Sounds like you are shopping for cheap help. Pay a fair price and you'll get someone who knows what they are doing. The fact that neither the oil company nor two plumbers who looked at the problem haven't a clue just shows that you aren't finding th right guy.

Long Beach Ed
  • Gary_21

You hit the nail on the head.My system needs a good assessment.
    I was not looking for cheap, I was just having difficulty locating someone who knows steam heat.
    I am in the Port Washington area, Maybe you can recommend a good steam guy!
  • Gary_21

Thanks for your input...the main steam vent was replaced by the oil company.
    I will search for a pro on the website.
    Maybe you can recommend someone in Nassau County
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    send e mail

Gary her's my e mail where exactly are you located ?Here's my e mail address RDEUZA@aol.com good luck and peace clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • mike jones
    mike jones Member Posts: 32

if clammy is not in port, email me and i will help find you someone affiliated with this site
  • Gary_21
    recessed radiator's not working

> Thanks for your input...the main steam vent was

> replaced by the oil company. I will search for a

> pro on the website. Maybe you can recommend

> someone in Nassau County

Looking for great steam guy in nassau county/port washington to assess old 2 pipe system.
    Have not heard back from Clammy.
    Mike maybe you have a recommendation for me
  • Gary_21
    recessed radiators not working

Looking for great steam guy in nassau county/port washington area, to assess old 2 pipe system.
    Have not heard back from Clammy.
    Mike maybe you have a recommendation for me
This discussion has been closed.