Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Riello trip

I can't see the pictures of the street lamps zooming along the highway - traffic must have been cool.

Did they make a big fuss over low NOx emissions? or is no longer the big talk it was a few years back? I have been wondering about that.

Thanks for sharing the souvenir photos and welcome back.

Comments

• S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Riello trip

Son Matthew and I just got back from Mississauga, Ontario, where we spent 3 days getting our heads stuffed with all things commercial sized at Riello. I can't say enough good things about our class instructor Ross Crompton. The man knows Riello burners inside and out and does an excellent job of teaching and training.In fact I'll tell you how good he is. Matthew at the tender age of 21 has had his hands on exactly 2 two burners in this size range. On the drive home he said, "Dad, I really understood what he was saying and when we got to the hands on part it was easy to do it." That is a compliment of the highest order to you Mr Crompton.

We had the good fortune to be there at the same time as Bill Lawler and Greg McNeil (sp?) from Viessmann. Two men who desrve the title of professional and the Viessmann organization should be happy to have them aboard.( I thought I'd put you guys' picture in here so you can prove to the brass that you were really there and not just out cruising around)

But I'm bummed out........We got home about 8PM and my wife tells me that Chuck Shaw and an entourage stopped in to say Hi at about 6PM. Sorry I missed you Chuck!!

I digress.........back to Riello.

We trained on the R series burners in all their configurations which ar oil, gas and dual fuel in two stage and modulating. They are the simplest and most easily set up of any burners this size I have had the pleasure to work on and I look forward to maybe being able to do more work on these big boys.
    While in the lab I noticed an F series burner that was being tested for operation of their new electric draft shutter which is replacing the hydraulic jack type due to solvent problems with fuel oil these days. They had it hooked to a cycle counter and when I noticed it Monday morning it had about 56,000 cycles on it. When we left the counter showed 62,000+ and Ross said they were going to run it till it croaked to see how it held up. Should be interesting to see how well it does. I have a picture of it that I'll try to post here.
    They also had a bunch of different brand, residential sized boilers firing in the lab being tested for certification with their burners. There's a LOT more that goes into that than one would think at first.
    AFA the class goes, if any one reading this gets into commercial sized burners of any brand and you want to pick up some good info on them, the class is a bargain at $300. All you have to do is call them schedule it and pay your way there. The instruction and hands on is all relative to Riello products but the basic combustion training is applicable to all burners. They fed us lunch each day and even took us out for a nice steak on Tuesday evening.

I post some pics and add to the post as I go along.

FYI the burner in picture 215 has a 20HP combustion air blower on it and a basketball will easily fit in the burner cone. Big is an understatement.

Pic 218 shows Bill Lawler, Ross Crompton from Riello and My son Matt from front to back. Greg McNeal is tweaking the R28M dual fuel burner. The burner modulates on gas and is two stage on oil. I've had more trouble dialing in residential size burners than that 28. It is a sweet running burner and very easy to set up considering what it is.

221 shows five testing stations where they certify and test all brands of boilers with Riello burners. The silver gas bottles in the foreground are test gases for calibration. The big gray box towards the middle of the pic is a very serious combustion analyzer. It had direct reading gauges for all the standard flue gases and enough sensor wires coming out of it to strangle an elephant.
  • S Ebels
    Lo NOX

Ross said Reillo recently took a low NOX residential burner (blue flame) around to a number of North American manufacturers. It's a neat looking burner with the typical combustion gas recirc to cool the flame without causing high CO problems. (Although all burners of this type require spot on set up). From what he said, Low NOX isn't even on the radar yet for residential stuff. They hardly got so much as a yawn from the makers they showed it to. AFA commercial sized stuff, more areas and states are requiring it as time goes by. Probably here to stay I'd guess.
  • Glen
    Glen Member Posts: 855
    Ross -

is a wealth of info - riello related or not. I too thought it was a very good training session - and have called on Ross several times for more info etc. He and the crew in Ont have always respnded quickly. Great bunch.
  • Greg_9
    Greg_9 Member Posts: 6

Thanks for the kind words Steve!

Greg/Bill @ The Big V
  • Chuck Shaw_10
    Chuck Shaw_10 Member Posts: 5
    Just thought I would drop in

I was in Michigan doing training classes, we were traveling from Gaylord in the northern central part of the state, to Big Rapids (Ferris State University) which is in the western part of the state, and I looked up and saw "Ebels Hardware and Home Center". I figured I had to stop.

Like Steve said, he was away. It would have been nice to visit. Next trip Steve,

Chuck
  • S Ebels
    I wondered

I wondered what you were doing out here in the boonies. Did you stop at the store and get some jerky?
  • S Ebels
    No problem

Wouldn't say it if I didn't think it was true. Matt and I enjoyed meeting you guys. Always nice to put a face with the voice at the other end of the phone.
  • Chuck Shaw_10
    Chuck Shaw_10 Member Posts: 5
    I did stop at the store

but only long enough to ask if you were there, and then how could I find you.

Directions were a little tricky, and we made a couple of wrong turns, but we found our way from the store to the house.

Chuck
This discussion has been closed.