Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tatoos

"The day will never come *for some people* when the way someone looks isn't really an indicator of their professional merit"

There, fixed that for you.

sure, it matters on a pragmatic level, because people judge each other on stuff that doesn't matter. That doesn't mean it's right to perpetuate the issue. That means I can recognize that it closes doors but I don't have to agree with the ones closing the doors. Since I was still helping people find the heating solutions they needed when I was a "skater punk"... and never lost a sale because of it, piercings and all... I can even say that most people, given a chance, can look past appearances if you've "got the goods". If all I had were a surly attitude, obviously it wouldn't have worked.

I never got tattoos for just the reason you mention and most of my piercings have dissapeared too. I wasn't sure where I'd go in life and I decided not to risk alienating closed minded people who might affect my destiny, plus I change my mind too much to risk permanent adornment. That does not mean it's my job to look down on those who make a different choice. I don't have to understand why people make their decisions... it's their decisions to make.

If lizard boy is not going to work in an office or in front of people, his choice is his choice, and while it's a bit obsessive compulsive and a little more focused on flash than I would be into, I don't know a thing about the guy and I wouldn't pretend to until talking to him.

Quite possibly, like I did with all my girlfriend's parents as a youngster with my 3/4 shaved head, he might really surprise me.

I'd be watching realllll close though, sure ;)

Comments

• Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    My daughter

went to a tattoo convention last weekend in Philadelphia. She returned without any ink. (At least as far as I can tell.) It started me thinking. If I were to get a tattoo, what would I get? I'm thinking maybe a Pipe wrench, or better yet, a propress on my bicep. What do you think? :) WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930

I am bald and I am in sales for a plumbing & heating wholesaler I could rent out my forehead to manufactures and make some extra cash when I go out and make sales calls. well not with a permanent tattoo how about just stickers that i can change from day to day and customer to customer so all the lines that I sell can get exposure and I can make even more $$$$$
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

I have a flaming electric guitar I got while under the influence and 18 years old...now at 37 it is still really cool.....NOT!!! It is above the shirt line on my left shoulder.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    boiler tatoo opportunity

i have 4 children and only the older pair[34 & 36 years] have relatively descreet tatoos.
    since there is advertising everywhere else, why not the boiler itself--including a sticker for heatinghelp.com [an informed customer is a better being to deal with].--nbc
  • Al_19
    Al_19 Member Posts: 170
    Tattoo

How about Bonesy ?
  • Al_19
    Al_19 Member Posts: 170
    Tattoo

How about Bonesy?
  • Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
    I Like That!

Only have one tattoo in 53 years(Triumph Motorcycles) But Bonsey could be the second!
    Jim Bennett
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Here's Mine....

Of course my belly's a bit larger since the pic was taken. This has caused some graphic distortion of the simian orifice, formerly my navel.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Kevin O. Pulver_2
    Kevin O. Pulver_2 Member Posts: 87
    Tattoos are...

permanent proof of temporary insanity!
    Kevin
  • Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,404
    What's with Tats on the face?

Haven't you checked yes in the box on the "I don't give a crap about life test"? When I see inked up faces and those God-forsaken earlobes stretched out enough to slide 2" pipe through I cringe and think that this person has no shot whatsoever in the professional world.

In my day (early 70's) we grew our hair long and listened to Deep Purple to scare our parents not forked tongues, lobes & ink. I must be getting old, I just had an internal scream that said "what's wrong with these kids"!

Oh, and "TURN THAT DAMN MUSIC DOWN"

Gramps

• why is it such a big deal that someone "has a shot in the professional world"?

I've had tattoo artist friends, for example. Their choice of personal adornment has very little chance of hurting their professional earning capability. And they probably make more than most of us do (good ones can really make bank).

I look forward to the day that the way someone looks isn't really an indicator of their professional merit to people. There are a lot better standards to judge by.
  • Timco

Here's my least favorite. This guy got out and killed a guard a few months back. He may never see light again. One of my tenants is african american and is totally covered from neck to ankle with all types of tatoos and has been my best, longest-term tenant. Really nice guy, I just gave him a chance based on meeting him, not his appearance. I should mention he is a tatoo artist and ALWAYS pay on time in cash...

Tim
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

2nd best tattoo I've seen in my life.
  • Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,404
    Rob Lighten Up

I am talking about kids and yes, the professional world (it pays your bills) and appearance is very important. You and your posse might be down with body modification and that's fine. I am talking about kids who might make a decision that could have a bearing on their earning power. The real world is that you have only one shot at a first impression and you better make it count.

How would you like to look out the peephole and see this guy coming for your daughter. The day will never come when the way someone looks isn't really an indicator of their professional merit to people.

Regards,
    A Professional
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    a fried brain

that dude has lost it. does he actually think he looks kool. i love tatoos & have a few. that guy is a bonifide moron.
  • Darin Cook_5
    Darin Cook_5 Member Posts: 298
    Al

I do have Bonesy tatooed on my right rear shoulder. It does not get anymore "Real Trade" than that!!!!!

Darin

• bobbyg_13
    bobbyg_13 Member Posts: 3

well said Rob. I agree whole-heartedly.
    I don't have any tattoos either but wanted to respond earlier to some of the comments. I bit my tongue and let it go. I feel the same way you do.
  • Timco

But what color ink would you use for the stains around the joints? Would the ink leak out from your joints?

How about you entire arm being made into pex copper pipe with a 90 at your elbo and the mfg stamp all down the side of your arm?

Tim
  • Jamie Pompetti_2
    Jamie Pompetti_2 Member Posts: 62
    tattoo's

My old-man "Big" tattooed his own name on his arm when he was 12 and it's still there many moons later...

• Jamie Pompetti_2
    Jamie Pompetti_2 Member Posts: 62
    tattoo's

I'm actually a fan of them! All of mine are meaningful and I do not regret. When I was 18 I got some japanese writing on my ankle and I still hope to achieve and get the caricatures I got put on my body 4ever! On my other ankle I have my three kids names, On the center of my back is a rendition of a bonsey that I drew. And on my left arm is a half sleeve of a tree and surroundings that also represent something to me and my family!!!!

Like the propress idea, Just don't get the name on it. Wouldn't want to see any copy-write law suites!!!

• mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    Mine would be

The man holding the pipe wrench on the old A/S "The Plumber protects the health of the nation" poster.
This discussion has been closed.