Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermal update

ThermalJake
ThermalJake Member Posts: 127
ThermalJake

Comments

• ThermalJake
    New Header

Just figured I'd give you an update. The first pic is what it looked like for the last few years. The next three are what it looks like now. Some of you may remember it from last year. It's awfully quiet now. No leprechaughns in the basement.
    Jake
    FYI: the last three took a few minutes to go through. That might mean they are big. I'll have to figure out how to size them. (better with wrench than digital camera) Sorry
    ThermalJake
  • not bad

The new header is a vast improvemnt from the first ,i see you have 2 pipe over head oil lines have you though of converting to a single pipe with a tiger loop i've never been one for recirc oil back to the tank and filtering 18 to 19 gallons a hour compared to the 1 to 1.50 an hour that you may be burning ,but that's just me love them tiger loops and hate re circ back to the tank have had and seem alot of bs due to it like tank condensate peace and god luckclammy
  • ThermalJake

What's a tiger loop?
    Jake
    ThermalJake
  • single pipe

a tiger loop enables you to use a single supply pipe from your oil tank into the loop and 2 pipe from the pump it tricks your pump into thinking it's a pipe system but it just recirculated the oil from the resiouvor instead of your tank ,cuts down on vacume produced at the pump and de aireots the oil it will also cut down on how many times a season you change your filter or have no heat calls due to oil line restriction and clogged filters 2 pipe A pump i belive it's rated at 19 gph that's alot of re circulated oil ,i have had excellent results with them and in a few cases espically with larger carlin burners and old oil lines and tanks i was able to get a stable flame and stop stupid call backs on reset ,i'm a firm believer in tiger loops most oil fired boilers in the father land are always equipted with them enviromental issues like a leaking retrun line dumping oil into the ground bad things yes peace and good luck clammy
  • Bruce Stevens
    Bruce Stevens Member Posts: 133
    Great little piece on Tigerloops

Clammy is right on the money

http://www.westwoodproducts.com/tigerloop_article.htm

Also remember that if you break a line on the return that could be a major spill before it is found
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Much improved

I would replace the strap hangers with good clevis hangers and shields when you get around to insulating the piping.

Despite that, the photographs show that they can withstand seismic forces. Must be the only steam system near the San Andreas Fault

:)
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Now that's a HEADER

What size pipe did you use? From the pics it almost looks like 4-inch!

I'm not surprised the system runs so much better now. And it looks like you've left room so whenever the boiler is replaced, it can be easily piped to that monster header.

I bet your fuel consumption drops too.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.