Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

design me a system

Even if you put BB all over the place and can heat successfully at the low end of what the boiler can tolerate, you will have the challenging job of balancing the output. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with a long run of BB, you can get a high delta and efficient low return temperatures, but it can be very hard to put the heat where you want it unless you have a very open floor plan. I vote for panel rads and TRV's

Comments

• oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641
    design me a system

my nephew is getting rid of his steam system --oil only no gas looking at Biasi w/Reillo --- does anyone in westchester county ny want to design a system - interested in a reset system 1 zone --lot of extra fin to run lower temps no domestic but future indirect --primary secondary piping -
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    design

how about a design for a steam system that works,like the one you already have--only properly setup and maintained?
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Agreed

with a Burnham MegaSteam boiler, proper main vents, proper pipe insulation and TRVs in rooms you want to keep cooler, like bedrooms, the steam would be just as efficient and comfortable for a LOT less money.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    they do not want steam ---and wont pay for steam --

--piping is already removed radiators removed they will not be going with steam - he wants and is paying for hot water --i would like to set-up a good efficient system for the type of heat he wants -low mass boiler, primary secondary pumping, and outdoor reset

The Wife said no more steam ---so there it is i guess i do commercial service i will be putting it in with my uncle who can run pipe,and is good with mechanical and electrical --i have no prooblem running pipe -fitting etc.. electrical ,controls but i need a layout to do it ---- honestly i would rather have had him go with radiant but they don't want to tear up the basement ceiling --
  • Few different things

The Biasi boiler is a nice unit, i have installed several with no problems. Instead of baseboard why not panel radiators Biasi makes a nice one that is competitively priced.
    Best set up in my opinion, Biasi boiler with a tekmar 4 way mixing valve run off an actuator and full outdoor reset no thermostat. A wilo ECO circulator providing flow to the system and trv's on each panel radiator. I would use a turbomax indirect for domestic hot water, they work great with a low mass boiler. This is the way i would do it.
  • oil-2-4-6-gas

they are getting baseboard from a friend at a great price --this is what i have to work with
    Biasi b-10 w/ Reillo
    baseboard
    oil
    wants outdoor reset
    primary-secondary pumping

i was not asked about anything before they decided to start
    this project it was after they started and needed to get the boiler out of the basement they made a deal with someone about baseboard
    -they were going to get a Williamson boiler (just a rebadged weil-mclain pin boiler)

i talked to them about 3-pass boilers like the Buderus and the Burham MPO then they say the Biasi --i discussed primary-secondary and benefits of outdoor reset ---thats what they want
  • Mitch_6
    Mitch_6 Member Posts: 549
    sounds like you have already designed the basic components.

I would just get the slant fin program and size based on lower water temperatures. No sense in a high end boiler if you cannot bring the temps down. Most of the low mass boilers like the Weil McLain Ultra come with a preferred piping diagram and pump sizes.

Mitch S.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

I would go with higher mass emitters...more choices and better ways to save, even if the BB is free, the oil is not. The word 'free' sometimes sends people way in the wrong direction beacuse it something for nothing but it will cost more over the long run...not to mention the extra labor / materials to run BB vs panel or CI rads.
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Mitch_6
    Mitch_6 Member Posts: 549
    Scott I would do the same. Flat panle or good old CI

But as he stated getting a good deal on the base board and that is what they wanted I only recomended the low temp sizing was this is what they want for radiation.

In my opinion baseboard on a low mass boiler with primary secondary in this application is over kill. You will not get the savings you can get.

We have been told this is what they want this is what they will pay for and lay it out around that.

If they really knew they would pick radiation to match the boiler or boiler to match the radiation.

This discussion has been closed.