Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

soot

Boris,

See the attached DOE document regarding soot in boilers.

Ed Carey

Comments

• boris
    boris Member Posts: 3
    how much does soot insulate?

I think I remember hearing that xxxx thickness of soot equaled a 1/2 or inch of fiberglass insulation. I don't remember exactly OR if its true but I was very impressed that it was important to keep yer boiler heat exchangers clean.
    Anyone know? AND

If you had a boiler that burned 2,000 gals of oil, would you do a mid season brush down?
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    how much does soot insulate?

A lot! Why would you tolerate an oilburner that produced soot in the first place?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Leo_12
    Leo_12 Member Posts: 17
    nine percent

I once read that an eight inch of soot reduces heat transfer by nine percent. Now soot is carbon, unburned fuel. Another thing I see form is sulphur, scale, and ash the percentage that affects heat transfer I don't know. A properly tuned burner that doesn't goof up (anything mechanical can goof up)does not make soot. (not referring to early burners still in service) Using prepurge and clean cut pumps on oil burners makes a difference. Proper piping for the particular installation can affect ash and scale by it's affect on the flue gasses condensing. If a burner stays warm or if it is used for an indirect water heater year round all affect how clean things stay. Different brand burners burn better in different boilers than others. But if a burner is "properly" serviced once a year it should run to it's full potential.

Leo
  • Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    ssot value

My old school notes tell me that 1/8" of soot has equivilant R value of 1" of fiberglass. That what I have used for years.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,034
    flow

soot build up reduces the effective flue area thus hindering flow. The insulative effects of soot vary with the composition of it as soot is not uniform. When a unit fires up from a cold start, it takes longer for the flue walls to heat up and maintain a stable draft. However, in most cases, it is the flow performance that is of more concern. The standard recommendation is to sweep the flue whenever there is a 1/4" buildup. However, with smaller flues, a little buildup has much more effect. Remember, when you double a diameter, the flow increases to the cube function so the same in reverse as you reduce a flue. A little reduction in diameter reduces flow a lot. Just compare sizes in the venting tables.
    Bob
  • Edward A. (Ed) Carey_3
    Edward A. (Ed) Carey_3 Member Posts: 236
    See attached DOE document re soot

Boris,

Ed Carey
  • Edward A. (Ed) Carey_3
    See attached DOE document re soot

Boris,

Ed Carey
  • Edward A. (Ed) Carey_3
    Soot information

Boris,

Ed Carey
This discussion has been closed.