Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

You remember your first day on the job when...

Options
Mike Dunn
Mike Dunn Member Posts: 189
So I am working away in a corner of the basement when the apprentice comes over and tells me he's having a heck of a time trying to solder a fitting. Tells me the solder is repelling off of the joint. Come to find he was using pipe dope instead of flux. Made me think back to my first days on the job.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    apprentice

Whe were working in a hospital running a ton of copper pipe down a long hallway, all sizes 2" and down i was cutting the pipe and had the apprentice fitting cleaning and fitting up all of the tees. after we went back to solder about 200 joints i couldnt get the solder to flow at all! The apprentice i had working behind me was using Victaulic greese insread of flux, he said they looked the same and didnt know the difference.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    i'll bet we all may

be able to remember when we were pipe dopes. and with my advancing age/eyes, i'm coming full-circle with some things. like today, mistaking a galv vent for pvc. i thought the purple cleaner looked weird on that 'pvc'.....
  • Dobber
    Dobber Member Posts: 91
    Options
    Ouch

When the company I was working for was doing the basework at a hospital.The GC had put Big O sleeves in the footings for our drains. Some concrete had gotten into the sleeves so we sent a couple apprentices to knock out the concrete.I was working in the next room and heard "You hold the chisel and I'll hit it".Thank goodness we were already at the hospital.

Dobber

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.