Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot water heater still in use.

Options
bob young
bob young Member Posts: 2,177
late forties or fifties. what is brand name

Comments

• Dannyt&c
    Dannyt&c Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Old hot water heater in use

This hot water heater is still in use. Wondering how old it might be. No tag on it. Any guesses?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    it looks to be

two days younger than water. and if that's soot around the burner, it's too old
  • Ed_26
    Ed_26 Member Posts: 284
    Options
    HWT

Better change it out for free, & stick it in your museum. Nearly as old as dirt! ;)
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,291
    Options
    What does that...

...tag on the heater say? Also, is there any info on the controls? It looks mid to late 1940s, but I could help you zero in on it with a little more info. Tanks of that era often were made of copper or monel.

Yours, Larry
  • burnerman_2
    burnerman_2 Member Posts: 297
    Options
    as old as a g e

a co-worker walked in to a basement seen a ge he goes what the heck is that i bet they'd give u a 100'000 dollars for that (g e ) to put in thier museum boy he got her hopes up i do know it came to town on a wagon in the early 20's lol royboy
  • jeff klaverweiden
    jeff klaverweiden Member Posts: 57
    Options
    history

The companies dont want them and dont care.I was able to get a Ruud from the basement of a house. The one that is portraied in the Ruud Rheem website. I contacted the company and no one called me back. I even left a message with the company historian. No return calls. I was going to give it to them. I guess profit is worth more than history. Its really cool, the size of the automatic gas valve is amazing and its in great shape. With all the brass tags. Looks good in our boiler room.

Idle hands are the devils workshop

• Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Options
    Safeties

I find that these old heaters often have bimetal safeties that rust away and will allow main burner gas without benefit of a pilot flame to ignite it. It's not the constant pilot gas that's the main risk, it's the main gas. We find that most people never turn a water heater off and that the street pressure seldom fails so you don't see the no safety problem until you change a gas meter and need to relight.
This discussion has been closed.