Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

CRACKED cast iron pipe

bob young
bob young Member Posts: 2,177
one reason n.y.c. code once stated " uncoated ex. heavy cast iron " . if it was cracked , you could not hide it.

Comments

• john_181
    john_181 Member Posts: 93

Can anyone tell me why old cast iron pipes crack. I have replaced many old pipes that split down one side. Not a straight crack - it goes all directions.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    BLDG. SETTLEMENT

EXPANSION & CONTRACTION , IMPROPER SUPPORT , INFERIOR PIPE
  • john_181

forgot to mention....it has happened to me with 4" sewer lines that are vertical ONLY. The horizontal pipes are fine????
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
    I'm

with Bob.

Had it on many occasions on buildings built in the 50's and it did seem like very thin cast iron.

It did not seem to matter, either vericle or horizontal. It wouldn't take much to cut it out with the sawsall.
  • john_181

pipes were installed in the 40's But it took me 45 mins to cut thru the pipe with a carbide blade. The cast iron pipe is about 1/4 thick and the crack opening ranges from 1/4 tp 3/8 - WOW
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
    I had

those also. I believe they were a mixture of CI and steel because of the shortages during the war.

I had one project (for a Judge, no less, who was a wonderful client) which required me to cut a half dozen or more stacks and connect them to the new sewer main that was replacing the line to the sepic system.

All of them were in a low crawl space where I could not get the snap cutter in. Took forever but thank goodness it was a time and material project and not something I gave a quote on.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318

They may have been cracked from the day they went in and just with wear are showing a leak. When the old timers of less than high standards cracked a piece when cutting it they often just grabbed the asphalt paint and covered up hairline cracks. Even then they had hacks.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.