Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

wall cookies?

DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
Sounds like you picked up someone else's cookie.
Retired and loving it.

Comments

• Royboy
    Royboy Member Posts: 223
    something goofy going on

the past day or so ...

when I click on my bookmark for the wall it opens up differently than normal - have to click on the little triangle to get the the list of threads on the wall. before the open list came up as default. that's not a biggie in itself but what is a pain is that the bookmarked threads are a whole different set than what I had bookmarked. as if I have someone else's list - or mine has been corrupted somehow.

my understanding is that these lists are transmitted via cookies. if this is a problem on my end and not something anyone else is experiencing, I might be able to play around with the Time Machine program on my mac and recover a cookie from the past, which would be a learning curve for me but probably worth it.

anyone else experiencing weird stuff at the site?

Roy
  • Royboy
    I liked my cookie better

how the heck would I get somebody else's cookie and who's got my cookie.

I'm generally quite fond of cookies but this sort is kind of mysterious for me ...
  • Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    Sometimes when you share

a hyperlink, you become a different person in the Eyes of The Wall....

It happens and seems creepy but is harmless. Dump (don't toss!) your cookies.

Make mine toll house.
  • Royboy
    but

I hate starting over with an empty jar

trying to figure out how to recover my list of bookmarked threads if at all possible

and I confess to being a bit unclear about what constitutes "sharing a hyperlink" so I'm not sure what I did that might have caused this.

feeling a bit melancookie ...
  • DanHolohan
    If someone on the Wall

posts within a thread and links to a previous post, there's a good chance you'll get that person's cookie when you click on the link to see what they're talking about. Happens all the time.
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    Sadly,

those bookmarks are gone once you clear the cookie. Sorry.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Royboy
    happily ...

I just used Mac's Time Machine backup system, and restored my cookie file from a couple days ago, and all is well.

like more than a few things in the hydronic world (and larger world!), I was able to get the results I wanted without truly understanding the territory in which I was operating ...

thanks, Dan (& Brad), for the prompt response. as always - this is such a user friendly, generous, & helpful site.

for any other Mac users dealing with this issue, the cookie file is at user/Library/Cookies, and with Time Machine, it is quite easy to recover an older version.

Roy

• bruce_21
    bruce_21 Member Posts: 241

I went to clear out the cookies on my mac and was surprised to find only about six from "invision..." which I saved. I thought surely I'm going to loose a bunch of my bookmarks because there must be a cookie for each. But lo and behold all the bookmarks remained! Is this normal or a weird fluke?
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

mmmmmmmmm...cooooooo-kies....grarwarwarlll (druel, druel)

Homer
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • There's cookies?

Yum, any milk to go with them?
This discussion has been closed.