Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I notice south of my border

Empire_2
Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
I think they suck too. Hex head is better in my opinion. Phillips when rusted and beginning to strip can be a pain, and the same for the square head mentioned.

Mike T.

Comments

• Many American manufacturers still don`t embrace this simple system, could it be in-not selling the patent to Henry Ford this still has something to do with it?
    If you`ve ever used one of these, it blows the Phillips head screw OUT OF THE WATER LOL! fastening device

Dave
  • Typical response,

that I expected from you Mike, if they`re not common they are no good, right!

Dave
  • I like them

I would go out of my way to find the square head deck screw. beats the philips hands down!
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Agree with Mike

The square heads are just a little bit better than a philips. Hex heads are better then both. Quicker tip alignment, less prone to strip, more prone to snap the head off though in tougher woods.

Gordy
  • Mark Hunt_3
    Mark Hunt_3 Member Posts: 184
    I agree

those things will go through just about anything.

I use them.

Mark H
  • PeterGriffin
    PeterGriffin Member Posts: 79
    Security

An electrician and I were talking about how superior we feel a robertson screw is. He was telling me that in the States they are often used on cabinets for security. Kind of like an anti-theft/anti-vandalism type thing..

Any truth to that?
  • Maine Doug_68
    Maine Doug_68 Member Posts: 12
    All the good antique

furniture I have is put together with Robertson screws. Seems to be a standard in furniture.
  • Me too

I built some Adirondack chairs last year and used the stainless steel square drive screws. First time and I loved them. Assembled a new bullet press this past week and it came equipped with combination screws that would accept either slotted, Phillips or square drive bits. I would expect to see more of that in the near future.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Technical Development

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • Ron Gillen
    Ron Gillen Member Posts: 124
    Not much security here!

Up north we would use hex for things like plates, but for everything we do that requires a wood or sheet metal screw,it's robertson. Flat and pan head, in construction you seldom see anything else. Of course drywall guys use phillips, robertsons don't know when to quit.
This discussion has been closed.