Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam heat

Options
stan_11
stan_11 Member Posts: 2
Hi. Last night on the steam pipe going into our radiator, about 6 inches below the wall, steam was escaping from a point on the pipe. When we turned off the heat and examined around the pipe where the steam was escaping we couldnt feel or see any cracks or holes. Also, when the heat shut down the pipe was soaked in cold water. A friend of mine recommened plumber's epoxy putty. Is this a good idea or is there a better solution? i can be reached at 347-239-1257

Comments

• Brad White_184
    Brad White_184 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Stan- No point in using epoxy

when you cannot find the hole :)

Short of replacing the pipe, a couple of stainless steel band clamps and red rubber sheeting sealed with silicone can be a fast repair, both sealed and mechanical. Epoxy will only work on a dry surface and you have to find the hole. If it is a crack, the epoxy will not penetrate to seal it, just mask over it.

There are other ways, but the band and rubber method is what I have used with success. Too much success in that I have admittedly left it that way for far too long...
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    Are you sure

something else isn't leaking down onto the steam pipe?

"Steamhead"

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.