Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

heat not getting to end of run

Options
Jay Beuoy
Jay Beuoy Member Posts: 17
My wife and I moved into a three story older home in
December. The heating on the third floor has been poor since the beginning. It is a steam system with a new Burnham boiler. Heat gets to the radiators because the pipe is warm coming up to the valve, but the radiators won't get all the way warm unless we put the thermostat high enough to keep the system running for a long period of time. There is some hammering so I suspect I have at least one bad steam trap. I can't find an expert in my area to call in. I wonder if the new system was incorrectly installed. I also wonder if the third floor radiators are sludged up. Can I clean them out? Where do I begin? Also, I noticed that although it is a two pipe system that the third floor radiators have relief valves. I read on this site that a two pipe system should never have those. Any ideas?

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

what pressure are you running at? You should not need more than a pound or so...without a thermal camera, you may be best just finding the replacement cap & cage for your traps and doing them all...it's cheap & easy enough. As for the vents, I would remove them. You want the pressure moving the steam through the open traps towards the main vent, not out the rad vents...

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Jay Beuoy
    Jay Beuoy Member Posts: 17
    Options
    thanks for those ideas

Thanks Tim,
    I am running about one pound of pressure. I have ordered a infrared thermometer. Is it true that if the temperature is the same on both sides of the trap that the trap is then bad?
    Also, does anyone know if it pays to take the radiator off and clean it? How would I do that if I did?

Thanks
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

The temp will be lower on the drain side of a trap if working properly. See my pics. The rads have just seen steam & air. No need to flush the rad, but returns do get flushed if one is blocked.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
This discussion has been closed.