Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pictures of installs

jeff_99
jeff_99 Member Posts: 27
I contracted with a oil delivery/service company who also does installs. But, they sub the work out. The sales guy spent and hour here explaining everything, telling me thats all these guys do is boilers,they only contract with licensed plumbers; no repairs, sewers etc. just boilers. Some plumbers came, didnt bother to measure and way overshot the size of the unit. The company I went with measured every radiator, sized it correctly etc. When they installed it, no plumber showed up! at the very end of the job, the owner showed up for 5 minutes. I ran the unit yesterday for 1/2 hour. WOrks OK, but seems to knock much more than previously. Is it too late for the knock to be corrected?

Comments

• jeff_99

Ive looked in many areas in this site, but is there a place where there are pictures of various boiler instalations?

Thanks
  • For steam

try the "drop header" photos under Steam Piping in the Library.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

• Still trying to figure out if your boiler was installed correctly? Was the person who installed it a friend or someone doing it 'on the side'? Just curious.
  • It shouldn't knock AT ALL

get them back there to fix the problem.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    How about pics???

We like pic's...how about some of the install itself. It may also point out some issue's that can be repaired...
  • jeff_99

Ill try and post some today.
    The Peerless install manual states in bold "must use
    2 1/2 header and supply. They used 2 inch supply everywhere.
    Not sure if it matters but all the steam lines are 2", commecting from the supply.
  • Tom Hopkins
    Tom Hopkins Member Posts: 552
    here's a peerless

Here jeff 2 peerless install one gas and a re pipe and a new oil install peace and good luck where are you located /clammy
  • jeff_99

Im in northern NJ. I might be bringing unnecessary worry to myself. Ill post pictures later and then put on my kevlar vest!! I guess my only real concern is that they used piping slightly smaller than spec'd. The Peerless rep said I probably wouldnt notice a difference.
  • won't notice the difference?

You had it fired for an half hour and its knocking? Something is wrong...
    Did the installer fired the unit up to have checked and skimmed? If not, sorry, you hire a wrong comapny. Please do post some pictures so we wallies can help you....
  • jeff_99

• jeff_99

OK experts. Ill put on my kevlar vest and hope for the best.
    Try and be fair and use some flexibility in your judgement in that there may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    Fired it up for a 2nd time and knocks quite a bit for the first 10 minutes then dies down. They will come back to skim soon, for starters. Comments on install are most welcome.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    clammy

hope you are not drinking hot hinekins lol
  • jeff_99
    pictures of install

OK experts. Ill put on my kevlar vest and hope for the best.
    Try and be fair and use some flexibility in your judgement in that there may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    Fired it up for a 2nd time and knocks quite a bit for the first 10 minutes then dies down. They will come back to skim soon, for starters. Comments on install are most welcome.
  • Daniel_10
    Daniel_10 Member Posts: 2

Sure . . .The header needs to have a bit more pitch towards the equalizer as it looks almost pitched towards the boiler. That take-off needs not be bullheaded but a seperate take-off for each main from the header with the tees pointing vertically, not horizontally.
  • Tim Doran_4
    Tim Doran_4 Member Posts: 138
    Three Munchies

That we started today. Three 399s with two SSU119 indirect, eleven air handlers, pool and spa HX, eight Myson towel warmers and 5000 sqft of rfh

• Bruce Stevens
    Bruce Stevens Member Posts: 133
    Todays Work

Three of us repiped this steam boiler it is not as crooked as it looks, grabbed a pic with the cell phone had a pile of rocks and a fireplace insert between me and the boiler and a wall at my back. This was a boiler installed a few years ago and done all in copper that was cracking at the copper joints. We were asked to repipe it properly so we did it in black iron with a dropped header. Not my best work but not bad under the circumstances.Oh ya the three of us were me myself and I
  • Bruce Stevens
    Bruce Stevens Member Posts: 133
    One I did Today

Three of us repiped this steam boiler it is not as crooked as it looks, grabbed a pic with the cell phone had a pile of rocks and a fireplace insert between me and the boiler and a wall at my back. This was a boiler installed a few years ago and done all in copper that was cracking at the copper joints. We were asked to repipe it properly so we did it in black iron with a dropped header.Oh ya the three of us were me myself and I
  • Tom Hopkins
    no heinikens

No not me that was my buddy whom i was helping that was a one dayer with just help getting her in and out ,we did this one for one of the suppliers freinds who was diagonosed with cancer and was under going treatment so we gave him a good job and a good price under the circucism,sorry bout the spelling public school showing peace and good luck clammy
  • Tom Hopkins
    piping

Jeff ,i seemed to slightly notice what i believe is your wet return is that return below your boilers water line or just on the edge and the 2 supply mains should have been tied in seperatly and what size was the boiler ,there is a formula in the laosh that will give you your exiting velocity depending on btu and riser and header sizing ,i usually aim for below 14 fps and have had much success using this method even in some cases it's usually 1 size larger then manafaacutures recommended piping ,using this method has always lead to dry hot steam and usually very quite mains and no splitting vents ,i am located in north jersy also .peace and good lucl clammy RDEUZA@aol.com

• The gas line coming out of the meter looks like 1/2" but it could be because of the perspective of the photo. Then it looks like they increased the ward flex to 3/4. Do you have LP gas or natural?
  • Daniel_9
    Daniel_9 Member Posts: 2

Well, your right . . .It would be bullheaded had that tee been rotated counterclockwise 90 degrees but where it is now it still is capable of adding to the problem of hammer.
  • jeff_99

I have natural gas.
  • jeff_99
    estimate

Clammy, you've seen the work and what has to be done.
    Im in Northern NJ. What would your cost be to set the piping right, skim, clean boiler and adjust all (9) vents in the house?

thanks
    Jeff
This discussion has been closed.