Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Boiler High Altitude Orifices

Options
bob_50
bob_50 Member Posts: 306
The deration of the boiler, 4% per 1000', is pretty much offset by the reduction in the btu content of the gas at 6000'. I'm 1200 miles from my files and library at the moment. If my memory is correct at about 6000' it's a wash. I would fire the boiler. Unless Glenn tells you not to.

Comments

• William Shaw
    William Shaw Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Steam Boiler High Altitude Orifices

Hello Steamheads!
    I am installing a Burhham IN8 steam boiler, live at 6,000 feet in Colorado. I have the high altitude orifices backordered, but folks are getting cold up here.
    Can I temporarily run the boiler with the standard orifices for about two weeks or so while I wait for the correct ones? Will it do any harm?
    Thanks,
    Bill
  • Bill

That boiler should be configured for altitude of up to 5000 feet if you are in the Rockies. I have responded to your e-mail but received a message back from your ISP saying my response was trapped by your Spam Blocker.

E-mail me with the complete Model # and Serial # of this boiler along with what fuel you are burning and I will see what I can do to expedite the orifices. Also let me know what distributor you are dealing with and their contact information.

gstanton@burnham.com

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • William Shaw
    William Shaw Member Posts: 2
    Options

Bob, thanks for responding. Glenn is worried about possible flame impingement and CO production.
    I will hopefully recieve the correct orifices soon.
    Bill
  • Bill

The boiler you have is set up for Sea Level and I'm not even sure how or why that occured. You will need to get a conversion kit to derate that one for 6,000 feet. We are currently configuring a kit to do so and when I get the kit number I will pass it on to you so your distributor can get it ordered. Once the order is received, we can usually build it and ship it out Next Day Air. I would not advise running it until it is converted Bill.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
This discussion has been closed.