Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

noisy boiler poping sound do i need to replace it

Steve L.
Steve L. Member Posts: 35
Are you sure you're not confusing your boiler with your Water heater ? In a Water heater you can get a build up of lime in the bottom of the tank. That noise is a "poping, crackling" sound. It is possible to "de-lime" a water heater.

Comments

• ron reichelt
    ron reichelt Member Posts: 1
    boiler noise

boiler making poping noise i need a solution replace it or put chemicals in it
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

Hot water or steam? If hot water, then a zone is not flowing well enough and the water is boiling. Could be a circ going bad or too small pipe, etc...Describe system, boiler brand?

Tim

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Brad White_126
    Brad White_126 Member Posts: 12
    Treatment before Diagnosis

I agree with Tim- we need more information. Chemical warfare or replacement is premature and limiting at this point.

When does the sound occur? Cold startup? After warming? If water, what is the temperature at which it runs? Is it fluid related (piping side) or fuel related (burner side)?

Not a lot to go on just yet.
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Kettling

I believe that is the term for it. It usually occurs in water heaters where fresh water is continually flowing through the appliance, but with excessive makeup water or oxygen infiltration, a cast iron boiler can build up a layer of oxidation inside that causes this noise. Do you have a fresh water makeup? Has it been left on? If you turn it off does your pressure drop over time? How old is the system? Is there plastic tubing in it? Does that tubing have an oxygen barrier?

I just did a search online, and I found this stuff. Anyone have any experience with chemicals like this?

-Andrew
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• bob_52
    bob_52 Member Posts: 1
    noisy boiler

is this boiler a weil- mclain cg a or i residential series
  • JOHN_103
    JOHN_103 Member Posts: 54
    popping

is your boiler a dry base or wet base boiler? dry base boilers will pop like water heaters, it could be water trapped under the sediment that steams and fights its way out.also have seen wet base boilers with flame impengment that creates steam pockets.
  • Darrell
    Darrell Member Posts: 303

I just washed a Burnham Gas 205 boiler out with a stiff solution of Hercules Sizzle...4 quarts in the system, turn off the gas and let 'er run over night. Flushed all manner of nasty stuff out and now she purrs like new. The owner complained of hammering sounds. It was popping at limit, which can be a combination of low flow, low pressure, or scale on the wet side of the sections. the heavier the cast iron sections...like a fearless peerless...the more latent heat they hold which will "boil" the system fluid if it happens to stop call for heat at or near limit.

One boiler that will do it really bad is the WMC oil boilers...especially if there is glycol in the system fluid...the higher viscosity fluid does not flow through the back sections...which happen to be the hottest...as well. You'll burn the glycol and it will settle out as a thick nasty crap that will take over your truck if you're not careful.
This discussion has been closed.