Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Last Fire

Perry_2
Perry_2 Member Posts: 381
In about 1 week I should have a new Vitodens 200; 6-24 boiler with inderect DHW.

Unfortunately, the weather will not wait and there are deep frost warnings for tonight. The house has been cool these last several days - but I was patient.

So; knowing that it should get down to freezing tonight I proceeded to fire up the old beast.

A 1954 vintage firetube oil fired Crane boiler 132,000 Btu/Hr with natural gas retrofit.

As per usual I had to pull the gas burner assembly out of the boiler and replace the thermocouple, tighten up a few fittings, and oil the Series 100 pump (and seal), and run a hose to fill up and pressurize the boiler and hot water system (a boiler pressure relief valve leaks so that the system need represurization every 3 to 4 months when in operation).

So last fire.

I look forward to the new boiler that is being installed in a new location.

Yet, after 52 years of service - the old boiler has fired up yet again and who knows how long it would really last...

Of course, it has a problem with exhaust gas spillage in the right wind conditions; and it has no clue about efficiency.

Overall - it has served well and does not know that it will be soon retired; it just fires away - doing the job it has done for over a half a century.

There's something to be said about that.

Perry

Comments

This discussion has been closed.