Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham Wall Hung

Actually it sort of sounds like a Stainless Steel Refigerator when it is running too except a much quieter one. Here is a little closer look at the venting material.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.

Comments

• ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    aka \"The Fridge\"

Rick posted this in another thread, but it piqued my interest so I though I'd see if anyone had any information or opinions about these boilers.

Looks good. I like the concentric vent, in polypropylene. Not using PVC as exhaust vent makes this boiler stand out in my book. The finish is nice. Looks something like a stainless steel refrigerator/freezer. I will probably have to get over my fear of aluminum in heating systems.

What do you guys say?

-Andrew
  • Uni R_2
    Uni R_2 Member Posts: 589
    Venting

Full marks for venting! It vents in about the same place as the Euro models which is a good move. What I don't understand is why the supply is coming out of the top of the boiler - that seems strange. Other than that it looks great and it'll be interesting to see what controls it has, how much it can modulate, the smaller sizes that will be offered and what kind of quirks it may need for piping and pump requirements.

• Uni R

I'm not privy to all of the design criteria for this boiler and others, but I believe that the reasons the supply is coming out the top has something to do with any or all of the following three things.

First, the flue gas flow of this boiler is counterflow putting the cooler water in contact with the tightest part of the heat exchanger where it tapers together at the bottom.

Second might have something to do with space constraints in keeping the outside dimensions smaller while still allowing for the venting connections on top, heat exchanger inside and electrical components sealed away from any piping or water connections.I might add that the outer dimensions of this boiler make it several inches narrower while protruding off the wall only 17" compared to others at almost 19". The gas connection also enters the bottom along with the system return and condensate drain connections.

Third would have to do with the requirement for a low water cutoff in the U.S. states where it is now a requirement. That plug just to the right is for the compact probe low water cutoff that is included with every Freedom boiler. There is a tee provided for that LWCO as well. The other guys leave no provision for a Low Water Cutoff either in piping configurations or wiring. This is something that we have done with every new product in the past couple of years.It needs to be situated above the boiler heat exchanger and not below it. The LWCO is also inclusive of the circuitry of the Honeywell MCBA control and its dignostics cababilities. The MCBA control also has built-in Outdoor Rest capabilities. All you need to add is an outdoor sensor if desired.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • Darin Cook_6
    Darin Cook_6 Member Posts: 41
    Nice

That boiler looks very installer friendly. I definetely like that the LWCO location was thought out and provided for by Burnham. It should be a great product!

TSGT Darin Cook,
    Air Expeditionary Forces,
    Iraq
  • Mark Wolff_2
    Mark Wolff_2 Member Posts: 77
    Armed Forces

Don't know what all you are having to do over there, but know we appreciate it. Stay safe and come home soon. We are praying for you guys.
  • Darin

Thanks for the kind words Darin. Thanks again for all you are doing to keep the world a better place. Rest assured that you and your comrades are in our thoughts and prayers everyday!

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • Joe Brix
    Joe Brix Member Posts: 626
    Glenn Stanton

What is the maximum vent length of this boiler?
  • tk_3
    tk_3 Member Posts: 36
    Vent Length

In a concentric application the max vent length is 18 feet and horizontal twin pipe is a maximum of 55 equiv. ft and 49 equiv. feet in a vertical application. If exceeding 18 ft of vent material you must use AL294C instead of coaxial Polypropylene. The concentric vent system included with the boiler is of coaxial Polypropylene construction with a usable length of 25" It can be extended to 18'.
  • Thanks Ron!

Thanks for jumping in with that answer Ron. I was going to give you a call about the this because you have the manual and I don't. I thought it was 18' but my memory ain't what it used to be these days. I thought you were at the shore this weekend!

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • rumn8r
    rumn8r Member Posts: 104

Thanks!
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    This looks good Glenn!

And, sometime in the coming months I plan on purchasing a condensing boiler for my wife's rental house. In your humble opinion, how would this unit stand the test of time in an uneated cellar, dirt floor? I'm concerned about corrosion and rust to the cabinet and electronics? BTW, I have used Burnham almost exclusively for over 30 years.
  • Mike

It would hold up as well if not better than anything out there. The casing and jacket are powder coated and the heat exchanger is cast aluminum so there is little concern about moisture affecting them. I would give some consideration to mounting this upstairs in a closet on an outside wall though if only for accessabilty reasons. Thanks for your continued support!

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • mtfallsmikey
    Thanks for your input Glenn!

I wish there was some closet space to mount it! This house was built in 1898, going to be a challenge as it is without trying to put it upstairs.
  • I understand!

My daughter has one of those houses (4500 square feet) built back in 1847. In trying to completely remodel this home it has taken three times longer and three times more than it would have to build a new one!

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • Followup to Top Supply Question

Just wanted to followup on the question that was posed regarding why the supply tapping is off the top of the boiler. As I indicated in my earlier post, I suspected it was mostly due due to the requirements for a LWCO. I did hear back from Engineering about this and the primary consideration is for a properly placed, wired and vented LWCO for the boiler. It needs to be above the boiler and ideally in the system flow to assure that it does not end up in an air pocket. Hope this helps.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • mtfallsmikey
    Another question for you, Glenn

How will this boiler hold up if softened water is put into the system vs. raw? A lot of water in my area is loaded with calcium.
  • Mike

I would think that if the system is tight with no appreciable amounts of makeup water or air diffusion that it would not be an issue provided that you remain the recommended guidelines for water quality. Those recommendations are as follows:

PH - Remain with 6.5 to 8.5 range

Total Solids - Less than 2500 ppm

Hardness - Less than 120 ppm (7 grains/gallon)

If you need to use antifreeze be sure to stay with an approved brand or equivalent only (spelled out in manual). I will check into your question anyway and confirm the answer.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • Followup to Mike's question

This is a followup to Mike's question regarding softened water and the cast aluminum heat exchangers. In addition to all of the things mentioned in the previous post, it would be very important to ensure that the chloride levels of the boiler water never exceed 250 ppm. It is advisable to keep them as low as possible but the maximum level would be 250 ppm. Sorry for the delay in answering this as I was waiting from a reply from the Engineering Group. Hope this helps.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Looks nice

I'm not a big fan of all the expensive electronics on the bottom of the unit. Someday something will leak, and it usually leaks down ;)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jimbo_5
    Jimbo_5 Member Posts: 218
    Any other sizes?

Looking for a boiler in the 70-80K BTU range, like the Ultra-80. But this boiler sounds interesting. And the gas company in my area (NYC) are giving Burnham boilers at reduced prices. Up to now, I'd pretty much ruled Burnham out.
  • RianS
    RianS Member Posts: 104
    Glenn

Are they making then for Crown too? I heard Crown was coming out with one soon.
  • Jimbo

Just the 120,000 btuh model for now with a 90,000 btuh to follow. Bear in mind though thst these are fully modulating and will match the load you have nicely as well as minimal loads like we are having right now. Gosh.....is it ever going to get cold out??? I don't think that these will part of the Gas Company reduced pricing program though. But it does qualify for the NYS and U.S. Government rebate program though.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • Max

Yes they are below the sources of water but they are in a seperate and well sealed compartment forward of the heat exchanger to hopefully prevent that from happening.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • RianS

As I stated in another post, this boiler and the floor mounted model or CHG are joint engineering efforts of Burnham Hydronics (U.S. Boiler Co. Inc.) and Crown Boiler as both companies are part of the Corporate structure of the Burnham Holdings family of heating companies.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
This discussion has been closed.