Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wood Boiler with Propane FA backup

Steve Ebels_3
Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
The one in Farwell? If so, I've been ruminating on the possibility. The boys say I'm too old. They don't know that I could school most of those dude's with the old Strat. :)

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, er, dentist's office......... With a counterflow, you definitely want to prevent circulation when the fan isn't running. If you don't, you're seeing a classic illustration of what happens to the high limit when that coil sits underneath it whilst 180*+ water courses through its veins. POP! good bye limit. I don't know how it is with your Lennox but on a lot of brands, if the limit pops, the fan comes on and stays on. Does his place overheat?

Re-pipe him primary secondary and use a pump relay to kill circulation when there's no call for heat. That'll solve a lot of issues for him.

Comments

• Darin(in Michigan)_3
    Darin(in Michigan)_3 Member Posts: 28

Customer calls- No heat. Find he has put the heat exchanger for his wood boiler below the counter flow furnace. This resulted in several no heat calls because the auxilliary limit kept tripping. So what did the chowder head do.. remove the auxilliary limit. And for safe keeping, let's just jumper the main limit with an automotive fuse to be sure we don't have any more problems. If the heat exchanger was put in the return duct above the blower and the limits are put back, is there a good possibility our problems will go away? As an aside the no heat was caused by a severely deteriorated collector box.
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Let me guess

1. The guy and a buddy or else the wood boiler dealer installed the whole mess..........

2.I'm also guessing that they just ran the piping right from the outdoor unit to the furnace coil and the circ runs constantly.

3.The piping from the OD boiler is 1" and they are using a 009 or equivalent to overcome the head.

4. There is a second thermostat "field engineered" into the system that through a series of connections that blows your mind, turns on the fan with a call for heat.

How'm I doin' so far?

I've found the best way to pipe one of these thigns is to primary/secondary the piping. Run the outdoor circ constant if you want but use a pump relay to switch on a separate circ for the furnace coil. Energizing the fan can then be done either with a relay off the pump control panel or with a flow switch. My personal preference is to use a flow switch in the secondary piping for the furnace coil and wire that into the fan control.

Ain't it fun!!???
  • Darin(in Michigan)_3
    Wow!!!!!

> 1. The guy and a buddy or else the wood boiler

> dealer installed the whole mess..........

> 2.I'm also guessing that they just ran the piping

> right from the outdoor unit to the furnace coil

> and the circ runs constantly.

>

> 3.The piping

> from the OD boiler is 1" and they are using a 009

> or equivalent to overcome the head.

>

> 4. There

> is a second thermostat "field engineered" into

> the system that through a series of connections

> that blows your mind, turns on the fan with a

> call for heat.

>

> How'm I doin' so far?

>

> I've

> found the best way to pipe one of these thigns is

> to primary/secondary the piping. Run the outdoor

> circ constant if you want but use a pump relay to

> switch on a separate circ for the furnace coil.

> Energizing the fan can then be done either with a

> relay off the pump control panel or with a flow

> switch. My personal preference is to use a flow

> switch in the secondary piping for the furnace

> coil and wire that into the fan control.

>

> Ain't

> it fun!!???

And my girlfriend wanted to bed me and I chose to stay here!!!! Steve, you got it all. He put the heat exchanger in himself. It was our 90+ Lennox originally before the heat exchanger. He's using a second t-stat between r and g on the furnace to turn on only the fan while the wood boiler circulates constantly. I know there is good way and a really bad way to do this. This guy is a dentist in Mackinaw City. Why do people that have the money to do things right insist on following a "...yea but if I do it this way.." mentallity?
    Are you going to the big music festival down there this summer?
  • Darin(in Michigan)_3
    Wow!!!!!

And my girlfriend wanted to bed me and I chose to stay here!!!! Steve, you got it all. He put the heat exchanger in himself. It was our 90+ Lennox originally before the heat exchanger. He's using a second t-stat between r and g on the furnace to turn on only the fan while the wood boiler circulates constantly. I know there is good way and a really bad way to do this. This guy is a dentist in Mackinaw City. Why do people that have the money to do things right insist on following a "...yea but if I do it this way.." mentallity?
    Are you going to the big music festival down there this summer?
This discussion has been closed.