Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need a little advice, Re: Flying Commercially

Contrary to what some of the responders prefer, I pack as much into my carry-on bag as possible. Being that my luggage usually has an inordinate amount of electronic gadgetry, when it's in a checked bag that bag almost always gets opened and inspected by the TSA people somewhere out of my sight. By having it in my carry-on, if there is a question I get to open the bag and let the TSA agent look it over while I am watching. So battery chargers, batteries, connecting cables, camera(s), GPS, radar detector, etc. are all in the carry-on.
For size limitations on the carry-on, go to the airline's website, as each airline sets its own size and weight limits.

Comments

• Glenn Harrison_2
    Glenn Harrison_2 Member Posts: 845
    Going to North Carolina on the 29th

to the Weil McLain school, and I must admit, I haven't been on an airplane in over 16 years.

Soooo, I'm asking those of you who fly regularly for some pointers on what I can or can't pack in my carry on, and or my main luggage, what kind of bags are best and any other bits of advice you can provide to make this as simple for me as possible in these post 9/11 flying days.

Links to flight regulations websites are appreciated also.

T.I.A.

Glenn
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

Presuming you'll be gone for a few days just pack all of your toiletries in checked baggage and carry on little more than paper. If you smoke, forget lighters ANYWHERE. Put your pocket knife in checked baggage.
  • Granite Stater
    Granite Stater Member Posts: 11

My advise to you is to check all of your luggage and don't take a carry on. I'd take a wallet and a pack of gum. If you have to take any medications then take them on your person, because there is a good chance that your luggage could be misplaced. One other tip is not to bring any machine guns or machetties. Where in NC are you going? I use to live in Thomasville.
  • Glenn Harrison_2
    Landing in Greensboro

staying in Eden, and then going to the new Weil McLain Factory and training center, which I'm sure is close by (my boss has all the details).

By the way, what is the regulations on bringing laptops. I obviously don't want to check it, but how big a pain is it to bring thru security?
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

You can carry your laptop on.
  • Brad White_2
    Brad White_2 Member Posts: 188
    But whatever you do

make sure it can boot up to prove it is really a laptop.

I had to ship mine back from Denver once because my Toshiba would not hold a charge (bad battery issue). I nearly missed my flight and this was pre-9/11 too.
  • CC.Rob_3
    CC.Rob_3 Member Posts: 33
    web

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/index.shtm

Other posted advice here is good. Keep it simple.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    i would Bid High and wear flip flops *~/:)

Don't go in for fancy head gear or flowing robes and you should be ok :)

carry back a side of beef in your carry on when you return.... beefs a good deal in North Carolina :)

leave any swords or large carving knives at home ....

shake out the wrenches and screwdrivers in your carharts...the airport people hate it when you suggest that you might be the only man man enough to walk out on the wing and reattach any Loose bolts that might be holding the engine on the wing...
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Glenn,

I've been there and it's an amazing factory and training facility.

Check your luggage. Carry on your laptop. You'll have to take it out of its bag at security. You'll also have to remove your shoes and your coat and put them through the X-ray machine. Take everything metal out of your pockets and put it all into your laptop case and send it through the machine as well. You can't bring any drinks through, but I always bring an empty bottle and fill it up at a water fountain once I'm beyond security. Don't make any jokes to the TSA guys. Enjoy the flight.
    Retired and loving it.

• If you wear suspenders expect to get the pat down every time you go through security. Yes, the best bet is to check everything and carry on minimal. I DID include a lighter in my checked bag. Went back and forth no problem.
  • Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
    Got nailed

for a lighter in checked bag. Raked over the coals. ("Why did that Policeman have to yell at me?"-George Castanza Sometimes they open and search checked bags.
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
    Linda and I

fly quite a bit, Glenn and only do carry-on. If you use common sense about flames and sharp objects there is no problem.

The only major change in the last year has been things like shampoo, toothpaste and other personal items but you just have to place them in small (forgot the size) baggies but so far all the airports we have gone through provide them.

Good luck and enjoy the school.

Jack
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    no rodeo belt buckles :)

I use a small carry on with reading materials, cell phone and a clean tee shirt and pair of underwear. If we had a dollar for every lost or delayed bag....

Pocket knife in check on bags only!

Skip the laptop unless you need it for class. All hotels have either a business office or computers in the lobby to send and check e-mail.

Take a pre-paid phone card if you want to use the room phone. Or your cell phone. Beware of the room phone charges, even for local calls!

Have fun and report back with the inside scoop.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream

• Good to know, I knew I couldn't carry them on but wasn't sure about checked bags. Got lucky I guess. Why though? Are they afraid the lighter is going to jump up and light itself? :)
  • Maine Doug_62
    Maine Doug_62 Member Posts: 7
    After you do

all the things necessary, you can take heart that any air freight that is in the hold has not gone thru the same security.
    Just makes you wonder why we take our shoes off when the container below the seats contains what???
  • John_102
    John_102 Member Posts: 119
    beef?

Weezbo -

Goin' to NC to buy beef? Good sir, you are (I believe) an NC expat. Some connection to Carolina, anyway. Surely the carnivore's choice is barbecue (which, to us in the Southeast, is PORK). Now, sauce; there's the rub.

Safe home, Glenn, as they say in the old country....
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    True..

That rapp about the BBQ ribs hit me like a Tomahawk [q> man thats brutal...especially as i am into this overgrown pot of stew at the momment *~/:)

is it correct to eat BBQ ribs in the bath or should you wait till they have vanished before the bath? :)
  • John_102
    I apologize to you, Weezbo, & to all

After posting the BBQ message, I realized I had veered way off topic, into politics & religion, entirely inappropriate behavior.

A bathtub of ribs sounds pretty good to me.
  • Glenn Harrison_2
    Thanks for the information guys

Extremely helpful. Makes my life a lot easier!

One last thing, do any of you know the maximum luggage size for carry on luggage, or where I can find this information? I didn't see anything listed on the TSA website.
  • John_102
    Baggage regs

I don't know that this is definitive (or exactly what you're looking for), but try this:

baggage regulations

Try a web search on it.

Peace
  • Kal Row
    Kal Row Member Posts: 1,520
    all you need to do...

is dress like a terrorist complete with dish-towel on head – mustache, sunglasses, and AK-47, and you will breeze right through security, however if you look like a red blooded American, they will take you apart – since all there really care about, is if you are an undercover investigator testing to see if they are “profiling”
  • Tombig_2
    Tombig_2 Member Posts: 231
    Restrictions

I just got back from travelling with my Mom and got this info.

Two pcs checked baggage 62” total size L+W+H 50lbs max
    One carry on 45” total size L+W+H 40lbs max

Personal wheelchair will be taken by airline baggage people at gate and stored in baggage
    Does not need baggage tag
    Will be returned to owner at arrival gate

Carry on restrictions
    All liquids (cosmetics, etc.) must be in containers less than 3.4oz.
    All 3.4 oz. containers must be in resealable plastic baggies no larger than 8x8
    Carry on medications must be in resealable plastic baggies (can be in pill case in baggie)
    Prescription info for medications is NOT required (that’s what they told me)

No cigarette lighters in carry on OR checked baggage
    Maximum four books safety matches in carry on or on your person

Cameras, cell phones, laptops OK to carry on

Info at American Airlines web site
    Or
    www.TSA.gov

Have a safe trip, Glenn

Tom G
This discussion has been closed.