Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

baseboard steam radiators

Options
Does anyone have any info on baseboard cast iron steam radiators ie: where to purchase? conversion from larger cast iron radiators? I love the steam heat, but want to make the space in my living room work better by installing baseboard cast iron radiators. I know in the distant past one could buy them, but nowadays how does one come by them?

Comments

• Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Options
    Burnham

Try the Burnham web site and seek local distributors from them. Only thing is on steam is that the lengths are limited for effective performance, especially on one-pipe. Not sure if two-pipe has as much of a limitation but it may.
  • Daniel_3
    Daniel_3 Member Posts: 543
    Options

I have two and I agree with Brad. The supply tappings are 3/4" ; way too small for steam one pipe. I piped one off the main 1 1/4" down to 1" a couple feet before the radiator and used a bell reducer to the 3/4" with a nipple. It works but then again it's one of the first rads to be fed from the main on the first floor. I wish I could take it out and replace with a standing rad or even a wall rad but space is severely limited. If most of the rads in your home have a supply feed of 1 1/4" it will be difficult unless you throttle air vents on other rads to get the baseboard to even heat up at all. I would suggest slenderized arco rads of maybe one or two columns at about 23" high and up to 10 or 15 sections that could recieve at least an 1" supply bushed accordingly with at least 1" sized risers.
This discussion has been closed.