Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

GSHP advice? (GrandPAH)

Like Thermomax or Ergomax work great and also serve as a DHW preheat, which is a continuous every day load.

For fan coils, we like First Company. I think they now have a variable speed ECM blower motor that can be operated based on pressure delta.

Welcome to the greener side of the lawn :-)

EDIT: TurboMax, not ThermoMax. TurboMax is made by THermo2000.com why I'm cornfused?

ME

Comments

• buffer tanks, etc...

For those of you who have past GSHP experience, I'd appreciate some pointers regarding buffer tanks for domestic hot water pre-heat and any preferences you have regarding chilled water air-handlers.

Every inquiry we've gotten needs a combination of radiant and A/C with one that will be incorporating PV & thermal solar. Lots of interest, so I'm certain we'll be entering the areana.
  • Paul Rohrs_4
    Paul Rohrs_4 Member Posts: 466
    Dave, Short on time, but

here is a set-up we have been successful with. This illustration does not reflect the controls for reset to the floor heat system, but could be incorporated with proportional mixing or VSIM.

The buffer tank is key in that we bring the system return in thru the boiler drain. We use a Marathon heater as a buffer and one of the element tappings house the bulb wells for both the Heating and Cooling aquastats. The other element tapping is used for heat supply from the GSHP.

DHW is preheated with a DHW generator package within the GEO unit itself and piped as shown. All pumps have integral flow checks because we are extremely cautious when in Cooling/Chiller mode and don't want chilled water thru our floor heat system.

I have found the control wiring to be a bit involved, but since most of it is low-voltage, it's do-able. I would LOVE to see a Tekmar TN4 system with geo capabilities.

Regards,

PR
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Paul, where do you get Marathon

element tap adapters? I recall that being an odd thread.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • hot_rod
    dp

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Paul Rohrs_4
    Paul Rohrs_4 Member Posts: 466
    Omaha Hydro Pump

has the adapters in stock. 800-728-0878. Good people to work with.

Regards,

PR
  • Mike Lampkin_2
    Mike Lampkin_2 Member Posts: 124
    Geothermal Buffer Tanks

Hi Dave,
    I have been using some of A.O. Smiths larger storage tanks as buffer tanks. They offer both horizontal and vertical tanks which come in handy when you are in a crawl space. We have just finished a home where we used two Geosmart Energy heat pumps to heat the house. One was an open loop (water-to-water)to do the radiant and the second unit was a closed-loop (fluid-to-air)to do the A/C,ventilation and supplemental heating using forced air zoning (Intellizone).Geosmart is out of Cambridge,Ontario.
  • hot_rod
    That Marathon tank sure gets around

I see a bunch of solar suppliers offer it with either a "hot stick" HX screwed into it, or external HX's.

Be nice to see some bigger sizes. Sure are nice to carry around :)

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
This discussion has been closed.