Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat Exchangers

Options
I was recently invited to involve myself with a local government agency who is required to fund heating equipment replacements for those who are financially unable to do so themselves.

There had been 13 different warm air furnaces condemned for having cracked heat exchangers or high levels of carbon monoxide and four boilers for high levels of carbon monoxide. The heating contractors involved had left estimates for replacement of all of these units.

The tests we conducted on the 13 furnaces revealed one with a cracked heat exchanger 12 did not. (We used a infra-red camera to inspect them) The three with high levels of CO upon adjustment and cleaning are now fine.

The boilers are all now up and running with low levels of CO on all four (below 100 PPM air free). There was definitely no need to replace any of them.

The scary thing is that all of them where condemned by the same heating contractor. I hope this is a case of poor training and not a rip-off????

Comments

• Hey Tim,

in Canada,,Direct Energy,(a derivative of Enbridge) does it all the time! Some old "snowman" boilers to quote Frank, have had readings of 0% PPM, how is that done?

Dave
  • Big Ed_3
    Big Ed_3 Member Posts: 170
    Options
    I Would Think..

..it was more business . Here you have a Government agency looking to spend our tax money and a company looking to get some of its tax dollars back . Is it right ? I think both are wrong really . Just because I am a back breaking mule that pays high taxes , buys my own heating equipment and the type of a guy that would rip apart a furnace for visual inspecting before condemning a furnace .

I know you are thinking from the goodness of your heart Tim , but your looking from the sunny side of the valley.

With all due Respect
This discussion has been closed.