Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

CO sensors

Options
SusanC
SusanC Member Posts: 106
A couple weeks ago there was a thread about the potential unreliability of CO detectors, i.e. the alarm is working according to the test button but the sensors may or may not be. That thread no longer is on The Wall. I think someone mentioned a reliable detector, also the frequency with which they should be replaced. Experts, can you advise? My system has one of those deflector boxes in the flue line so I am really desirous of being able to detect any out-of-flue CO. I have a detector in the basement and on the first floor but, based on the above-mentioned thread, I do not know the state of their sensors.

Comments

• Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    CO alarms

Hi Susan.

First, I would strongly recommend that you try to locate a contractor in your area that has digital testing equipment and knows how to use it. Use this link to see if there is someone close to you.

The alarms that are available over the counter offer protection for healthy, middle-aged adults only and they offer NO protection from Chronic CO poisoning. That is repeated exposure to low levels of CO. A UL alarm will not sound below 70ppm CO.

If you can locate an NCI certified contractor in your area, I would recommend purchasing the NSI3000 CO alarm. They are only available through NCI certified CO and Combustion analysts.

The only other alarm I would put in my home would be the CO Experts alarm which you can purchase from George Kerr's website. CO Experts.

Again, it is important that you locate a contractor that has been trained in dealing with CO and combustion issues. Not all contractors have and in my area, almost none have. If a CO alarm does go off, you will want to be sure that the person that takes care of the issue REALLY does take care of the issue.

One example:

A few years ago a man perished in his home from CO poisoning. Fire officials determined that the furnace "malfunctioned" causing high levels of CO to enter the home. A contractor "fixed" the furnace. Two family members that came from out of town for the man's funeral stayed in the house and they were killed too. CO from the "fixed" furnace.

*Edit* Sensor life is usually 5 years. That is 5 years from manufacturing date, not purchase date.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    Options
    recent CO thread

Sue, I think this is the thread you may have been referring to? Very informative, and well worth reading.

Pete

http://forums.invision.net/Thread.cfm?CFApp=2&&Message_ID=296512&_#Message296512
  • SusanC
    Options

Thanks, but it seems I can't get into this thread because I'm not a registered user of Invision...etc. Is there any way to access The Wall threads that are more than 3 days old?
  • SusanC
    Options

Thanks. I looked at your link and find that there are NCI contractors reasonably close. I will give one a call.
  • LEAD PIPE
    LEAD PIPE Member Posts: 199
    Options
    sensor life

Mark are you sure on the sensor life being from the date of manufacturing? I bought up a bunch of 2002 models before the switch over to the 2004 model. I called George before I bought them and he told me the sensor life started from the time the battery was installed and I was GTG. I still have about 25 2002 models that I save for people who have kids with breathing problems.
    Thanks
    John
  • Maine Doug_57
    Maine Doug_57 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    I sent you

the thread via email.
  • SusanC
    Options
    Thanks

Received it.