Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

seeking Veissmann installer in Minneapolis

JimH
JimH Member Posts: 89
Hi, I'm considering installing a Vitodens, but the nearest lising on the
Viessmann website is for an outfit 4 hours away in Wisconsin. I'm
wodering if anybody can help me find an installer here in Mpls.

thanks,
Jim H

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Call the local rep...

The local rep will know of local contractors who can install the Vitodens. Viessmann lists the reps on their website.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    Paul's got it: rep in WI

I think that, together, you and Paul have it: the boonies Wisconsin address is for the rep. Give him a jingle, and see who's doing the work in the Twin Cities.

And would you please let us know the outcome? For most Wallies, as a data point from fly-over land. And me? I live in Mpls, and came here to scratch the itch on replacing our original coal-fired, gas-converted, knock-on-wood boiler. Thanks!
  • Ted_5
    Ted_5 Member Posts: 272
    I am the rep in MN,SD, and ND

Hi Jim,

I am with Wise Energy Equipment Solutions and I am the rep you are looking for. We have an office in St. Paul. We have many contractors for you to choose from depending on your location. You could send me an E-mail with your information and I will get back to you right away!

Ted
  • JimH
    JimH Member Posts: 89

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking at doing a retrofit on a 1906 house
    in Minneapolis. Combined space heat and DHW. I'm wondering if I can
    keep my "big ol' radiators". It never had an attic expansion tank, so the
    piping is in excellent condition, but there is a little of the usual black
    sludge in the pipes. Does that cause trouble for a mod-con? Can it be
    filtered or treated? Can you put TRV's on the old radiators.

Also, I haven't seen any mention of filtering intake air, which seems like
    it would be a good idea.

• Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Jim

You are in an excellent position to save energy and increase comfort at the same time.

YES, save the radiators. Add TRV's to them (done all the time).

I trust you have taken all steps to lessen your heat loss? Insulate, seal, storm windows, all the good things. If you do this and your old radiators are sized to the original heat loss, you are ready to enjoy much lower maximum water temperatures.

Old pipe and free iron has been an issue, it deposits onto the stainless steel in some manner (someone else can explain in more detail than I).

On a recent install at my Susan's house, a 1922 gambrel, an apparent Sears Kit house, the mains were removed and the risers retained, connected to new copper mains using PEX-AL-PEX. You certainly can re-use your mains if in good shape. For my project, I used Rhomar HydroSolv after TSP. In addition I have a Neptune Filter Feeder with some rare earth magnets thrown in to scavenge any free iron. ALL flow goes through this. After some months I will see what has been harvested.

The Vitodens is an excellent choice if not the best. The 1922 house heats very evenly with what I would term "tepid" water with constant circulation and TRV's.

As for filtering intake air, I suppose anything that gets sucked in will burn -if not die. Annual inspection and cleaning is recommended anyway, so any ash or material would be cleaned at that time. The flushing action of the condensate I suppose helps but have no data on that.

If you filter the air, it just has to affect the draft. Not sure if Viessmann would endorse that.

Still, I think you will be very happy with your Vitodens!

Happy New Year!

Brad
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.