Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pipe dope

Options
Yves
Yves Member Posts: 11
What's the best pipe dope to use with black pipe. I've used both Hercules "real-tuff" and "blue block" with the pipes seated in the fittings tight and a little more than snug and I still get leaks. What am I wrong?

Comments

• Yves
    Options
    Pipe dope

What's the best pipe dope to use with black pipe. I've used both Hercules "real-tuff" and "blue block" with the pipes seated in the fittings tight and a little more than snug and I still get leaks. What am I doing wrong?
  • Alan_6
    Alan_6 Member Posts: 87
    Options

The green stuff by jomar is a great product. I have much better luck with using tape and dope.
  • Yves
    Options

Pipe dope and tape, I'll try anything once or twice.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    Please read

Dope

It pays to wander off the Wall.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Yves
    Options

That being read, I see i'm not alone in dope HELL, thanks keep them comming.
  • steve_6
    steve_6 Member Posts: 243
    Options
    true blue

by rector seal has worked great for us on 4" and under
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641
    Options

what is going through this pipe and what size is it ?
  • Yves
    Options

1.5" black pipe it's boiler loop for a radiant system. Nothing special just a simple heating system.
  • Kal Row
    Kal Row Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    blu-block is good for gas...

and i never had a leak with it since we are only dealing with inches of pressure, but for water (and i usually test to supply line pressure) - use Teflon paste AND tape - keep soap spray bottle handy to spray before screwing in so that the Teflon doesn’t just tare up immediately - i also use Teflon paste on those copper unions (thread and seats) why should i need to lock it so tight that you cant get it apart or have to wait until the minerals in the water seal it - douse it with Teflon paste - snug it - clean up with a rag (with acetone if needed, which also works on blu-block) - and have a nice day
This discussion has been closed.