Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Over filled low pressure boiler

This morning I heard the automatic make-up go on several times (unusual).

I checked later and found that the boiler was overfilled. I had to remove about 6-2 gallon buckets of water to bring the gauge glass level down to the middle.

This happened last year - symptoms was water hammer and lack of heating in some radiators. I drained the unit to the proper level and the boiler operated all winter without any problems.

Can any one tell me why the automatic fill would go a little crazy.

The unit is 5 years new and is a cast iron Peerless low pressure boiler.

I looked in my copy of Dan's book but could not find any info.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Charles G.
    Charles G. Member Posts: 113
    Over filling

What make/model boiler, low water control and water feeder? When/how was boiler last serviced? So many possibilities, so little information.

• The unit is a Peerless Series 62 cast iron boiler. The model number is 62-11. All controls are Mac D + Miller.
    The unit was serviced last year before the heating season. It's gas fired and cleaning, as I recall, was limited to vacuuming out the chamber and also the gas feed pipes.

I'm pretty sure no one ever pulled the low water probe or opened the blowdown device. I usually dump (blowdown) at least one a week during the heating season. The house was built in 1900 and needless to say the blowdown water is black and full of junk. It seems to clear as the heating season progresses.

Hope this info is what you neded. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.