Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Beckett AFG Cuts Out

Rich Lee
Rich Lee Member Posts: 10
I am trouble shooting a Crown Freeport CT-4 with a Beckett AFG/L1 head. The unit runs fine for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Then the barometric damper starts to flutter slowly and after about 10 seconds the red reset breaker on the primary trips.

I replaced the burner nozzle and readjusted the electode settings but that didn't help. Pump pressure is 140 psi and the oil tank is full. Outside air temp is mid 20's.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments

• David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
    What are your test results?

Whats the draft and is there a power venter?
    Sounds like its pulling the flame off the retention ring.

David
  • Guy_6
    Guy_6 Member Posts: 450
    Coupling

It sounds fuel related, but if it were a supply issue, I would suspect that you would have to prime the fuel unit to restart it. That is on the surmission that this is a single line system for oil supply.
    That being said, I would inspect the burner coupling (from the motor to the fuel unit). It sounds like it may be slipping.
  • John@Reliable_13
    John@Reliable_13 Member Posts: 34
    Fuel filter and pump strainer clean?

• Rich Lee
    Rich Lee Member Posts: 10
    Might Have Figured It Out

Thanks for the suggestions! I changed two things that so far seem to have fixed it:

1. Rotated the head a bit around the nozzle centerline so that the sheet metal rib was not in the line of sight of the photocell.

2. Cut down the air supply at the air boot. When I made it just a tad leaner the problem got worse immediately and when I closed it off a bit the flame got more steady and "sounded" better. I think it was adjusted at the verge of being too lean and the recent steep temperature drop made it too lean.
This discussion has been closed.