Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Setting the water level for steam boiler

brucewo1b
brucewo1b Member Posts: 638
You might also see rust if this boiler is cold start, sweatting between cycles or summertime, if you want to check for sure fill the boiler up to the top after you shut down electricity and see if there is any water dripping between section or in the chamber.

Comments

• George Daniel
    George Daniel Member Posts: 3
    setting the water level for steam boiler

How do I set the max and minimum in the glass tube for thewater level in a home steam boiler? The line for max on my boiler is obvious and the minimum is supposed to be at least a 1/4" above the bottom of the tube (point at which the atoumatic feed kicks in) but I don't know how to go about using the turn knobs at the top and bottom of tube to adjust and set these levels. Even though my oil company does this I still want to know the method.
    Thanks
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Leave those knobs wide open

they are there to let a tech replace the sight glass without draining the boiler. If you close them even a bit, the water level in the glass might not be the same as that inside the boiler.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • George Daniel

Thanks. That makes sense - I'll check to be sure they are full open and leave them as such.
  • George Daniel
    Rust deposits in combustion chamber of steam boiler

I have steam boiler and when I look through the peep hole with a light into the combustion chamber of my oil burner I see orange-rust colored deposits especially on the floor of it. There is no soot and the only other deposit is a white chalklike deposit which looks like minerals left after the oil burns (this is normal as I understand).

What concerns me is the rust deposits which have no reason to be there other than if there were a leak from the boiler jacket (where the water is held) into the combustion chamber. My reasoning is that as the water is boiled off during combustion the rust residue would naturally remain. This is the same rust that I see in the run-out water when I empty my boiler to clean it out - rusty water.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there should be no reason to have rust deposits inside the combustion chamber proper, of a boiler (only soot, which I don't have, and white mineral deposits are expected).

This suggests to me that there is possibly a leak between the water reservoir jacked and the combustion chamber itself. The manufacturer said I should look at the chimney in cold weather to see if there is considerable steam coming out and if so then it would mean that water is leaking in.

What are your thoughts on all of this?

Also, how can I adjust the minimum water level on the glass viewing tube. My minimum level is only about 2 to 3 inches below the maximum water level and I want to lower the minimum level some more. The lowest level it can safely be is at 1/4" above the bottom of the glass tube. I want to bring it down to about and inch or two above the bottom of tube. How do I go about doing this?

Thanks for your replys and advice.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Also if the burner is out of adjustment

or the firing rate is too low, you can get red deposits. Have a pro look at it.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.