Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Velocity of Steam

Seth_5
Seth_5 Member Posts: 58
I have another thread open but I have a different question. If you read my other post, you'll know that it takes about 45 minutes for the first convector to heat up.

This is a one pipe system by the way....

But anyway, after about an hour of my boiler being on, I checked my last convector in the line and it wasnt heated up(of course). So what I did was I took the vent off and then the steam came up very quickly and then I put the vent back on real quick and the convector heated up immediatly. (I had thick gloves on of course) So does that solidify the theory of a venting problem on my convectors. I have freakin 21 of them. thanks

Comments

• LarryC
    LarryC Member Posts: 331
    Fix main steam line vents first.

"So does that solidify the theory of a venting problem on my convectors."

NO it doesn't. It indicates that the air vent for that main is not working. Repair / replace the end of main air vent, and I'll wager that your slow heat up problems will go away.

Like Steamhead said, "Once the boiler is making steam, the mains should be full within 1-2 minutes."

Reply back with what size and length the mains are, and what size the existing vents are.

Larry C
  • Seth_5

There is 1 air vent on each main and there are 2 mains. Last year I took them off and blew through them. When I did that, it was pretty easy to blow through them. Could that still mean that they are failing? When the heater is on, I can hear them hiss for about 3 seconds and then go off, if that means anything I dont know.

I can't measure right now as I am at work, but will do so when I get home. Thanks
  • David Efflandt_2
    David Efflandt_2 Member Posts: 24

Do the mains get hot to the main vents when they close?

If so then if removing a vent from a convector suddenly makes it hot, it sounds like plugged or incorrect type of vent on the convector. Can you blow through that one? It should be an air vent for a steam system, not a vent for hot water system. In other words it should freely let air through, but close when steam hits it.
  • Seth_5

Not sure what you mean by "close" If you mean when the main vents hiss a little bit, are they hot? Yes they are.

Yes I believe I remember being able to blow through that one too. But I'll double check. thanks
  • are the mains

Are the main insulated? As steamhead says, my boiler get into steam with 7 mins and steam flowing into the INSULATED mains faster than I can run with the proper ventings...
  • are the mains

Are the main insulated? As steamhead says, my boiler get into steam with 7 mins and steam flowing into the INSULATED mains faster than I can run with the proper ventings...
This discussion has been closed.