Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

OnWatch

Steve_35
Steve_35 Member Posts: 546
but we don't see many devices around here to use it on.

Comments

• Steve_35
    OnWatch Rocks

We recently picked up an OnWatch oil burner monitor. It's the older model 41. We seem to hit 2 or 3 jobs a winter we make more than 2 calls on to nail down the cause of intermittent no heats. Ones where all the numbers are good but the danged thing still locks out once a day, week or whatever.

It so happened we had one just as it arrived. To make a long story short the unit locked out on start 402. We had voltage coming out of the relay, nozzle pressure rock solid and the stack temp actually dropped. The solid state ignition transformer tested fine but we replaced it anyway. Almost a month and no lock outs.

The model 51 has some good additions to the data it logs and it will do gas as well so we'll be making the plunge on it this year. It's not inexpensive but then neither are repeat trips to fix the intermittent problems.

If you're interested their web site is OnWatch. John Bunting is very helpful.
  • Steve_35
    OnWatch Rocks

We recently picked up an OnWatch oil burner monitor. It's the older model 41. We seem to hit 2 or 3 jobs a winter we make more than 2 calls on to nail down the cause of an intermittent no heat. Ones where all the numbers are good but the danged thing still locks out once a day, week or whatever.

It so happened we had one just as it arrived. To make a long story short the unit locked out on start 402. We had voltage coming out of the relay, nozzle pressure rock solid and the stack temp actually dropped. So the unit didn't fire. The solid state ignition transformer tested fine but we replaced it anyway. Almost a month and no lock outs.

The model 51 has some good additions to the data it logs and it will do gas as well so we'll be making the plunge on it this year. It's not inexpensive but then neither are repeat trips to fix the intermittent problems.

If you're interested their web site is OnWatch. John Bunting is very helpful.

By way of disclaimer, I don't know John personally and don't get any consideration for this recommendation.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    i just breezed over it right quick,

it looks pretty sporty. i wonder why it doesnt monitor the cad cell in K ohms. though as that would give a person an easy reference point of its operation.
  • Steve_35
    I think it's tough

to measure resistance on a live circuit so they measure the voltage. Remember you set the OnWatch up and walk away. The OnWatch latches up 5 minutes after a fault condition so the burner can be reset and the fault data isn't lost.

The one I have keeps the last 15-20 starts in memory. You write down the data from a good start and the data from a fault and compare the two. It's pretty easy then to see what's going on. The newer version you can download the data to a laptop or print it to an IR printer.

If you look through old copies of the newsletters he has on his site there are some pretty interesting burner failures. One of them is after something like 2000 starts and was related to an overhead oil line not being completely filled with oil.
  • Terry_14
    Terry_14 Member Posts: 209
    Best tool I use

I currently have onwatch working for me.

No Coffee breaks, no vacations, no salary increases, and no complaints. What an employee!

When a unit nearly 100 round trip miles away failed twice i hooked On watch up. It found an intermitent high stack temp on a power vented system.

Armed with this knowledge i was able to replace the power vent motor and received kudo's from the customer .

Terry
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    i read it this go around in a litt more detail,

the quick look looks to be a jiffy instrument have you invested in one of those ?
  • Steve_35
    It does make you look like a genius.

Do you have the 41 or 51?
This discussion has been closed.