Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Should I set back this room?

LEAD PIPE
LEAD PIPE Member Posts: 199
My family room is 500 sf with a cathedral ceiling. It is occupied from 3pm when the kids come home to about 10pm when we go to bed. I normally don't set back but this is a big room to heat for 17 hours a day with no one in it. This room has bb heat and is on its own zone. It has doors at the entrance so it can be shut off from the rest of the house. I have a high efficacy gas boiler.

Thanks

Comments

• Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    set back

Why not? Use a quality t-stat and set it back...don't set it back too far. 5-7 degrees is the usual norm. You didn't say how high the ceilings were, but the only real danger here is setting back too far during extremely cold weather conditions. Don't freeze up that baseboard heat.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • LEAD PIPE
    LEAD PIPE Member Posts: 199

thanks
  • Steve_35
    Steve_35 Member Posts: 546
    It depends

It'd be a great thing if we had a t-stat that sensed outside air and reduced the amount of setback based on the OT.

Two things happen when you set back as the OT decreases. You increase the possibility of a freeze and you lengthen the time of recovery. On a design day you may not recover in the higher temperature time period if the baseboard is correctly sized.
  • Rich_23
    Rich_23 Member Posts: 4

The benefits of setback are way overstated. Setting back one room (even if large) won't make a difference that you can see on your gas bill. If you have this room, then it is inside the heating envelope of your house, so you are committed to paying for heating it. What this means is that if you turn off its zone, it still draws heat from the other zones through the air and walls. Sure it may drift down a few degrees, but that won't make a difference to your bill.
  • Jed_2
    Jed_2 Member Posts: 781
    Unless

as is recommended by IBR, that interior zone perimeter partitions are insulated. That is, as I understand it, the correct way. But GC's and building contractors, don't have a clue. Just take the money and run.

Jed
This discussion has been closed.